1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

What is this "wan0_xipaddr", and why is it showing up in the GUI?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by smasher, Feb 20, 2020.

1. smasher

smasher Regular Contributor

Router: ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.15_0

My ISP has me double-NATed, so I've got both an internal IP address and a public IP address.

I can see my internal IP address with:
    Code:
    nvram get wan0_ipaddr
    I can see my public IP address with:
    Code:
    nvram get wan0_realip_ip
    But, when I check the "Internet status" via the router's GUI, I see the correct internal IP address and an address below it that is not my public IP address, 169.254.xx.xx.

That 169.254.36.118 address can also be found with:
    Code:
    nvram get wan0_xipaddr
    Questions: What is the wan0_xipaddr, and why is it displayed in the GUI where I'd expect to see wan0_realip_ip?

[​IMG]

This may or may not be related to the GUI perpetually showing "Lease time = Renewing...", and, "Lease expires = Expired", even though I'm connected and online.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

You are using PPPoE so the 169.254.xx.xx address is the point to point interface address. That's normal.

The 100.64. address would normally be your "public" (WAN) IP address, although in this case it is actually a CGNAT address.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    EventPhotoMan likes this.
  3. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Very Senior Member

YOu ever thought about charging? LOL