What's new

What is to build a cloud data center must be noted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alang

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am trying to find some information needed to build and host my own cloud datacenter. This information includes the equipment (hardware) needed, the amount of servers, best specs, routers, firewalls, switches, etc. I am looking to have it virtualized , maybe VMware, so I may not need that much host servers. but what needs attention?

thanks!
alang

I suggest buying a small NAS (Synology or QNAP), e.g., a 2 bay, or even 1 bay - plus a large USB3 drive for backups.

Those two vendors have what you speak of as one of many features in the NAS. Be sure to enable SSL and don't open the NAS and its "cloud" server to the Internet without REALLY knowing what you are doing in configuring the NAS' access controls, passwords, digital certificate for SSL/TLS, and how to manually setup your router port forwarding.

I don't recommend a DIY based on a PC server unless you have vast data needs.

DIY PC servers are a good option and i have read some interesting articles on SMB about setting up low powered and low cost atoms as home servers. If you are setting up your own personal/home cloud than i can advise you but if you are setting up a commercial one i suggest you hire an expert to not only advice you but also set it up. There may be some experts here you could hire too for commercial but the advice and articles on SMB site/forums are focused towards smaller networks like small businesses, SOHO, home and personal.

Hi all,

I am trying to find some information needed to build and host my own cloud datacenter. This information includes the equipment (hardware) needed, the amount of servers, best specs, routers, firewalls, switches, etc. I am looking to have it virtualized , maybe VMware, so I may not need that much host servers. but what needs attention?

thanks!
alang
To learn what SOHO/SMB NASes offer, try the on-line demos at web sites for Synology and QNAP.

before throwing a bunch of HW/SW etc at it...

1) What is the purpose of that cloud? Storage/Compute/High Availability services, what is the reason for that cloud to exist?

2) Xen/ESXi are common hypervisors out there (I would include HyperV and perhaps KWM-QEMU perhaps as well) - moving up the stack, you're looking at OpenStack being fairly common for a FOSS solution, and then toss in Docker/LXC for the app containers...

3) Is a cloud what you're really looking for compared to running something on dedicated hosts - both approaches have benefits and risks and costs associated with it...

Once you understand your requirements (needs and wants), you can start building the business case around building a cloud...

before link throwing a try these bunch of HW/SW etc at it...

1) What is the purpose of that cloud? Storage/ https://www.guidomaggi.com/us/men/boots/ | purpose | guidomaggi Compute/High Availability services, what is the reason for that cloud to exist?

2) Xen/ESXi are common hypervisors out there (I would include HyperV and perhaps KWM-QEMU perhaps as well) - moving up the stack, you're looking at OpenStack being fairly common for a FOSS solution, and then toss in Docker/LXC for the app containers...

3) Is a cloud what you're really looking for compared to running something on dedicated hosts - both approaches have benefits and risks and costs associated with it...
amazing purpose these
complete
available
throwing
high
what
Once you understand your requirements (needs and wants), you can start building the business case around building a cloud...

I built my own cloud system for our class on campus and it worked perfectly well for a while but the users increased and for some reason, the cloud system just crashed. We ended buying a simple cloud system that I really can't remember the name right now but it served us well for the two remaining years of school. Sometimes buying is better than building depending on your level of skill and knowledge.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online