1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

What lan_ifnames to use when creating new bridges?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by WifiGhost, Nov 16, 2019.

1. WifiGhost

WifiGhost Occasional Visitor

I am about to run a script for the first time to configure a new bridge and move the guest wifi/new vlan to it. I am not quite getting which interfaces I should set for lan_ifnames:

Code:
    #nvram get lan_ifnames
    vlan1 eth1 wifi0 wl0.1 wl0.2

# brctl show
    bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
    br0             8000.38d20              yes             vlan1
                                                            eth1
                                                            wl0.1
                                                            wl0.2

Per this article on DD-WRT:
    https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Enabling_VLAN_Support_for_BCM4704#Configure_the_LAN_Bridge

It says that eth0 is the default lan bridge and when making these changes to change eth0 to eth1, just bump it up a number, as eth0 will no longer be usable after the changes. As you can see my brctl only shows "vlan1 eth1" vs nvram get lan_ifnames which shows 2 more brctl does not and ifconfig only shows eth0/eth1, the 2 wireless 0.1/0.2 will be on their own bridge so I just want to confirm in my script which line I should use:

nvram set lan_ifnames="vlan1 eth2 wifi0"

or

nvram set lan_ifnames="vlan1 eth1 wifi0"

The script found on another post showed "vlan1 eth1 eth2" so not sure what interfaces I should and should not have listed for lan_ifnames.