What's new

What makes DHCP fast?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scooterit

Regular Contributor
Not sure if I am describing it best but I have noticed that some routers push the DHCP settings much faster to the clients then others.

For example when we switched one of my clients from a business class Cisco to a Pakedge router and connected tough the same ethernet cable the population of DHCP is almost instant.
Usually, I install Peplink Balance Once routers, occasionally the usual Asus or Linksys but none are as fast as these things.

Beside the huge price difference what causes this difference and are there specs or settings to change in order to archive similar results.?

PCs usually get their IPs as they boot up. Are you doing a release and renew? How are you judging the speed?

On a Mac:
System Preferences > Network
Select the interface (Ethernet)
Advanced
Click on Renew DHCP lease

Some routers populate this lightning-fast others take a few seconds. Even when al other network components are the same and only the router has been replaced.

I think Cisco try's to maintain the DHCP connection. If you do a release first and then a renew it will renew faster.

PS
Microsoft's DHCP server does the same thing.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!