What's new

What NAS OS are you using?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
It has been awhile since we have looked at NAS OSes. So what would you like to see us review? And what are you using?

Currently just using an Off The Shelf NAS, but am getting interested in building my own.

I would love to see full reviews of:
FreeNAS 8
unRAID
and even using the new Windows Server 2012 Essentials

lot of apples-vs-oranges in this discussion, e.g. simple graphical / browser controlled setup of 100% of all NAS functions, including time machine backup, multimedia serving, remote access, etc., to avoid having to using the Linux command line. Though I used Unix/SunOS for years professionally, for a SOHO / home NAS, I wanted an obvious browser based user interface for ALL setup/admin functions. That wasn't possible, in my assessments, with freeware.

Re windows server essentials: If it stays at $450, consumers won't buy it or a hardware bundle. But I guess HP didn't sell many WHS even at that 1/10th price.

Last edited:
I looked at that in my make vs. buy decision. It, and other DIYs are OK for just basic storage, but these lacked most of the features and functions I wanted. But have at it!

I think the most commonly asked about NAS OSes are:
WHS
FreeNAS
unRAID

Along with those I think Ubuntu Server (with webmin?) and NextenaStor Community Edition might be good to take a look at.

Currently I am "testing" Windows Server 2008 R2 on my NAS/fileserver here at home. In the process of setting up a new NAS/fileserver and plan on trying to use NextenaStor CE as the ZFS performance is excellent.

00Roush

NAS4Free looks to be the continuation of the FreeNAS 7 OS. FreeNAS 8 is a completely different interface and underlying setup versus the old FreeNAS 7 OS which is being mostly developed by the company that bought FreeNAS. I think some folks in the community decided to continue developing the FreeNAS 7 OS which also involved updating to the latest FreeBSD version. This new OS I believe is under the NAS4Free name. Haven't yet got a chance to test it out but I am interested.

00Roush

What about Openfiler (http://www.openfiler.com/)...?

Probably an overkill for "home" NAS usage but anyway.

Cheers.

P.S. Off-topic: Could you make a sticky thread for stevech here so he doesn't have to post everytime someone comes here to look for advice building DIY NAS...? : )

Last edited: