What's new

What network tools should I get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

earthhere

New Around Here
I interested in learning how to test ethernet connections from the connections that are coming out of a wall or elsewhere and making my own ethernet cables. What tools would you recommend I purchase to accomplish these tasks?

Thank you for looking.

I interested in learning how to test ethernet connections from the connections that are coming out of a wall or elsewhere and making my own ethernet cables. What tools would you recommend I purchase to accomplish these tasks?

Thank you for looking.

1. For terminating male Ethernet cables I recommend using the Platinum tool and the the male ends that work with the tool.

2. That being said it is often easier to buy factory made jumper cables in standard lengths of 1', 2' 3' 6' than try to make your own.

3. You will need a tester to verify that any cable you make is pinned correctly and has connectivity on all the pairs. $1 0 - $20 is all you need to spend.

4. Unless you are going to being doing many female jacks on a regular basis you can use the plastic punch down tool included with female keystone jacks.