What's new

What router can handle gb internet speeds with AI protection and guest networks?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoNz0

Very Senior Member
I found out my speed was down since I was upgraded to 500mb internet, 200mb was the limit due to QOS, guest networks and AI protection to filter the kids devices, I have an AC68u, one of the original ones so it's getting a bit long in the tooth now.
I would like to upgrade to one that can cope with all the bells and whistles that come with Merlin's firmware and the addons you can get, is anyone else using these feature with fast internet without it throttling?

Thanks.

I have an ax-86u, I'm on 500mb, I get about 480 over wifi on 5ghz. I have an Ax network card as well however. QOS wise I use adaptive, with flex and also have a guest network and AI protection. The only form of QOS I have used that caused throttling was CakeQOS. The effect of AIprotection and guestnetwork on throttling is almost nothing. Are you sure it's not throttling due to client side wifi cards rather than the router itself?

100% not device side as I now get full speed on my 5ghz 40mhz Intel 9260 with the above offenders off.
I'd like to future proof myself as the internet speed will eventually be 1gb around here.

(And before anyone chips in about future proofing, I only mean for the 1gb speeds not something 5 years down the line :) )

100% not device side as I now get full speed on my 5ghz 40mhz Intel 9260 with the above offenders off.
I'd like to future proof myself as the internet speed will eventually be 1gb around here.

(And before anyone chips in about future proofing, I only mean for the 1gb speeds not something 5 years down the line :) )

I to have tested the above, turning all those features on and off, and guest network and AIprotection do almost nothing to my network. I would take another look at the QOS. You don't state which flavour of QOS you are using? I think the QOS is the issue. Again I don't think you can go wrong with an AX-86U, smart little router, reasonable price.

I to have tested the above, turning all those features on and off, and guest network and AIprotection do almost nothing to my network. I would take another look at the QOS. You don't state which flavour of QOS you are using? I think the QOS is the issue. Again I don't think you can go wrong with an AX-86U, smart little router, reasonable price.
Adaptive is used and only has a small impact, it's the guest network that really seems to throttle things, I don't use the guest network but the kids do. It still throttles the main wireless though.

Have you tried putting your kids up for adoption ?

Seriously though, i'm not sure what the answer is for that. My guestnetwork only has one client on it, my wifes phone as it doesn't play nice on the main network. Are there any bandwidth controls on the guest network, what firmware are you using? Have you tried Merlins latest builds? Are you running Flex on adaptive?

Have you tried putting your kids up for adoption ?

Seriously though, i'm not sure what the answer is for that. My guestnetwork only has one client on it, my wifes phone as it doesn't play nice on the main network. Are there any bandwidth controls on the guest network, what firmware are you using? Have you tried Merlins latest builds? Are you running Flex on adaptive?
I'm not running any addons for QOS, it's only when the guest networks up that the whole setup slows to 200mb
My wife won't let me get rid of the kids..
I'm on the latest beta

I'm not running any addons for QOS, it's only when the guest networks up that the whole setup slows to 200mb
My wife won't let me get rid of the kids..
I'm on the latest beta
Sounds like the whole network is in effect slowing to the speed of the slowest device, perhaps someone smarter than me can advise @L&LD @RMerlin ?

Try this as a test. Use new Guest SSID's and passwords. Don't tell the kids about it (yet).

See how the network, works, when Guest Network is enabled. Connect some of your devices to it. See if it slows down.

If it doesn't, tell the kids (one by one, if you can) the new password. See who connects what and slows everyone down.

Sell that kid to the highest bidder (tell your wife she'll get a 60/40 split!). :)

Sell that kid to the highest bidder (tell your wife she'll get a 60/40 split!).
Don't use ebay though, apparently you end up with social services coming round if you do that.