What router can limit Internet bandwidth by Vlan, Ip, Ip range, or Group?

Bionic

Occasional Visitor
I would like to be able to throttle internet bandwidth. This is for business use. I do not want restrictions on bandwidth when sending packet to various intranet devices, but I would like to set various bandwidth policies for the internet traffic.

For instance.. I would like to make is so that certain devices can only upload to the internet at a speed of 1.5 mbps. Also I want an entire vlan to only be able to use 10 mbps upload collectively. Certain devices I want to be able to have them saturate the upload speed 100% and have priority over all the other traffic.

Which device has this feature?

I have looked at the current Ubiquiti and Netgear routers but they don't support this.

I prefer to do this via GUI, and not have to use CLI.

Thanks.

K-2SO

Very Senior Member
Sound like you want a pfSense router. It has a nice GUI, but you need to know networking to set it up.

Deepcuts

Regular Contributor
Sound like you want a Mikrotik router. It has a nice GUI, but you need to know networking to set it up.
For extra oomph, if you have a decent server laying around, you can virtualize it with ESXi and a Mikrotik CHR license. (hint: CHR is free with full features for 60 days and the price for P-Unlimited is a steal for what it can do)

Bionic

Occasional Visitor
What pfsense
Sound like you want a pfSense router. It has a nice GUI, but you need to know networking to set it up.
What pfsense hardware would you recommend that can support a 500 mbps / 20 mbps speed?

Bionic

Occasional Visitor
Sound like you want a Mikrotik router. It has a nice GUI, but you need to know networking to set it up.
For extra oomph, if you have a decent server laying around, you can virtualize it with ESXi and a Mikrotik CHR license. (hint: CHR is free with full features for 60 days and the price for P-Unlimited is a steal for what it can do)
What Mikrotik router hardware would you recommend that can support a 500 mbps / 20 mbps speed?

K-2SO

Very Senior Member
What pfsense hardware would you recommend that can support a 500 mbps / 20 mbps speed?
For the above requirements even the little guys SG-1100 may do well. When you learn what the software is capable of you'll ask for more. I would recommend SG-5100 unit. Intel x86 hardware, AES-NI with DDR4 RAM. It will do Gb with heavy traffic processing and few hundred Mb on OpenVPN. I'm actually waiting for my SG-5100 to arrive. You can run pfSense on a PC. Anything $100-150 HP/Dell/Lenovo SFF off-lease i5 3/4rd Gen with 4-8GB RAM and a low-profile Intel multi-NIC card will fly. It will use 40-50W power instead of 7-15W for SG units, but comes for low initial cost.

Bionic

Occasional Visitor
Looking at the Mikrotik hEX RB750Gr3 5-port Ethernet Gigabit Router $56.90
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSUMVUB/?tag=snbforums-20

The performance results are located at https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750Gr3#fndtn-testresults .

According to my brief google search regarding "routeros bandwidth management"

There seems to be a few different ways this is handled within RouterOS.

A few ways I see mentioned is to use Simple Queue, Tree Queue, or use Layer 7 mangle rules...

Have any one used these features, and can comment on how they worked and if 1 implementation is better than the other?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!