What's new

What router to use as an AiMesh node, with support for (future) Pro features (VLAN)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XIII

Very Senior Member
Currently I have an ASUS GT-AX6000 router. This replaced my AC86U router. Initially, I was considering to use that AC86U router as an AiMesh node, but I noticed that the AC86U does not get the future Pro features from the current beta firmware (I'm particularly interested in the new VLAN functionality), even when used as a node to a router that does support those features.

What’s the minimum/cheapest router to use as an AiMesh node with (future) Pro features (VLAN) support?

And which other model (cheaper than a second GT-AX6000) would be a good match?

All Merlin-enabled routers support VLANs to some extent, since Broadcom's switches allow configuring VLANs via SSH, and the Merlin firmware allows you to save commands as scripts that you can run every time you boot.

I recommend RT-AC1900P or RT-AC66U_B1, these non-HND old AC models have very simple VLAN commands, and they are cheap, very good choice for AP.

If you're not willing to figure out the VLAN commands, then you really need to wait for GUI support for VLANs to be added to not-cheap models in the future.

Both Amazon and BestBuy have the AX86S (two cpu version of the AX86U) for $180 which I think is a great price. I'm pretty sure they support the features you're looking for but I'm sure others will comment as well.

What’s the minimum/cheapest router to use as an AiMesh node with (future) Pro features (VLAN) support?

Must be the new RT-AX86U Pro.

All Merlin-enabled routers support VLANs to some extent

Not that easy in AiMesh mode and 10-years old tech routers have nothing to do with GT-AX6000 main router.

I'm pretty sure they support the features you're looking for

No. This model won't get the Pro firmware features.

I might not be well educated about the difference...

What's the benefit of AiMesh over an AP?
AP has more customizable configurations, making it easier to run custom scripts.

While AiMesh will synchronize the settings of the main router, the node no longer has an independent management page, lacks advanced configuration, and all settings are only synchronized with the settings of the main router.

I tried AiMesh, but as I use it more, I find it's not suitable for advanced users, I prefer AP mode.

Everything I'm talking about is with a wired connection.

It's worth pointing out that we're not yet sure if the AiMesh nodes will support VLANs, since the routers can control the VLANs and not the nodes, which just properly bind the VLANs to ports or interfaces.

AP has more customizable configurations, making it easier to run custom scripts.

Router + AP on different channels may also achieve almost 2x aggregate throughput compared to AiMesh sharing the bandwidth on the same channel. AP also allows Tx power control - not available to nodes in AiMesh. AP also works with any router - no AiMesh compatibility requirements.

Okay, I need to get my head around the idea of having VLANs implemented across WiFi links. Would that be on a per-connection basis, per-radio, or at some other level?

See what's offered in the new 9.0.0.6 Asuswrt firmware first. Your router is compatible.

Okay, I need to get my head around the idea of having VLANs implemented across WiFi links. Would that be on a per-connection basis, per-radio, or at some other level?
IMO if you can provide a wired backhaul, AP mode is the only way to go.

So last thing, last night, I tested the (very early) GT-AX6000 beta. Yup you have the option of VLAN IDs on every port. Guest WiFi greatly resembles Yazfi, and every guest SSID gets it's own VLAN ID - a consequence being that you can't seem to extend guest networks onto all AI-Mesh devices.
I think the all-or-nothing approach towards the guest networks is a problem, it certainly broke my current network schema.
Also, the beta broke DoT (conversation for a different thread)!

Previously fully functional Merlin Alpha firmware now restored.

I think the Asus early beta, may be the shape of the future, but this beta is way to early for me!

You want the new firmware with Pro features. Your lower cost options are another GT-AX6000 or RT-AX86U Pro. All other models are more expensive. If RT-AX86U Pro is not available - GT-AX6000 is the cheapest one that fits your requirements, overkill or not. You have some decisions to make.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!