What's new

What Satellite MAC to use for fixed IP address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael3421

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus ZenWiFi AX XT8 AX6600 with 2 devices.
I want to give the Satellite device a fixed IP address and I am not sure which MAC address to use for this.
In the web UI, in the AI mesh section, in the topology sub-section there are multiple MACs for the Satellite.
There is one for backhaul, one for 2.4ghz fronthaul and one for 5ghz fronthaul.
Thanks.

Yes, The Asus terminology for the base station and satellite(s) makes no sense to me. Not that other vendors are any better.

You will not be able to assign a "static IP address" to an AiMesh node. The best you can do is do a manually assigned IP address via the router DHCP server.
To find the MAC address to use go to AiMesh/(node name)/Network/Uplink Type. Note the IP address. Then go to System Log/DHCP Leases and find the IP address of the node. The corresponding MAC address will be to the right.

But, if you are using WIFI backhaul and the backhaul band changes the IP address can change anyway. Save yourself headaches and let DHCP do its job.

But, if you are using WIFI backhaul and the backhaul band changes the IP address can change anyway. Save yourself headaches and let DHCP do its job.

That's interesting. Why would the IP reservation not work if the band changes? My cell floats between bands and maintains the reserved IP address.

That's interesting. Why would the IP reservation not work if the band changes? My cell floats between bands and maintains the reserved IP address.
Because each band on the AiMesh node uses a separate network interface and each has a different MAC address.

Because each band on the AiMesh node uses a separate network interface and each has a different MAC address.
Sorry, I'm being dense. In understand the station MAC changes, but why would the client IP address need to then change?

Sorry, I'm being dense. I understand the station MAC changes, but why would the client IP address need to then change?
It wouldn't. This thread is not talking about clients, it's talking about the IP address of the AiMesh node itself.

Interesting. I always thought that Mesh nodes acted just like clients with some enhancements. Thank you for the information!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!