What's new

What Sprint capable USB Modem to use with RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfatula

Regular Contributor
Looking to hook up a Sprint LTE SIM to the RT-AC68U and have it as primary connection, being in the boonies. What device would you recommend? Want it to work when configured as the primary connection, the ASUS compatibility list shows nothing that seems to work with Sprint, though, maybe I have only found an old link.

Just looking for a device that would allow me to use the Sprint LTE sim that I have and that would even support band 41.

If I'm understanding you correctly couldn't you just insert the sim into a phone and then tether the phone to the router? I successfully tethered an Android phone to my old 68U a year or so ago.

I suppose, but, wouldn't want to use a phone permanently for that purpose. There are many devices listed on the 4G Asus screens that could be used. was more looking for one of those or one not listed that works as one of the listed devices.

Ahhh yes. I now understand what you are looking for. I saw four USB modem options on Sprint's support website none of which matched any of the supported model numbers. On their shop website I only see 1 USB modem and it's $180!! At that price an old used phone would be cheaper but I understand it would be preferred to use a USB modem. The USB modem on the Sprint website got bad reviews. An excerpt from one of them: "Take my advice buy a used Netgear Sprint model U341 (BYOD)". My gut says that it will work but sure would be nice to have confirmation :)

Ahhh yes. I now understand what you are looking for. I saw four USB modem options on Sprint's support website none of which matched any of the supported model numbers. On their shop website I only see 1 USB modem and it's $180!! At that price an old used phone would be cheaper but I understand it would be preferred to use a USB modem. The USB modem on the Sprint website got bad reviews. An excerpt from one of them: "Take my advice buy a used Netgear Sprint model U341 (BYOD)". My gut says that it will work but sure would be nice to have confirmation :)

You got it. I was hoping there was a non listed device that works beautifully and obviously a lot less than $180. It will not be a backup connection, I have access to a true unlimited account / SIM from years ago. It will be my primary connection.

On the other hand, it might be wiser to get something I can mount in the attic (foamed, never gets too hot (<80) even at 110 outside), and possibly even an antenna option just in case. I could then connect via ethernet to the router. Trying to find such a device though.

Depending on how strong of a signal you get at your house some sort of setup in the attic would be a good idea. I can't imagine that the little usb sticks have all that great of an antenna in them and then placing that antenna directly behind a router probably doesn't help with the signal strength either.

Via google I see a few old post that are saying the Netgear 341U does not work with Asus routers. But...I seem to remember reading some posts here that mentioned that at some point Asus updated the firmware and it fixed a lot of usb modem problems. If I could only remember how many years ago that was. Perhaps do some searching on this site.

The more I research this the more I'm thinking the cell phone route might be the way to go. A used carrier unlocked Motorola E or G series phone might be the way to go.

Band 41. I doubt band 41 will do you much good if you are in the boonies. Band 41 signals (2500MHz) do not reach as far, nor penetrate buildings and other objects, as well as bands in lower frequency ranges. I'm guessing that band 41 would be used more for urban environments rather than rural.

I'll be curious to hear what type of solution you end up with!

I understand, but, I am in the boonies near a highway with a tower! I have received band 41 in my house on a mobile device before, a year ago. That's how close the tower is, and, was hoping in the attic would make the signal better and more reliable.

Latest research leads me to looking at a Netgear m1 in passthru mode. I got there by also looking at AT&T network, but unfortunately I don't have an AT&T phone to test out speeds around here so that is an unknown. I believe since the M1 is LTE it should work fine with Sprint data as well, but can't find a reference. It will also accept an external antenna if needed, which would be a nice option just in case. Updated - nope, no bands for Sprint on the M1.

Now I need to come up with a way to test network access here. Not sure I can find an unlimited AT&T SIM that is grandfathered though. I would suspect being here though, no cell tower is going to be terribly overloaded since it's mostly highway use, esp Sprint!

I have one other option as well, I have located a carrier using 4G (unlicensed spectrum) for their LAN, a so called WISP.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!