What's new

What to buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amnesia2

Occasional Visitor
Hi, thanks to a super offer from my phone provider, I will upgrade from 1 gig to 10 gig fiber, which asus router to buy?
I am very confused with all the new models, is it better to buy a pro version? I currently have a fritzbox 7590, an Asus AX86U and an Asus AC86U, the new router will be given to me by the provider, obviously my network will be managed by an asus router, I am waiting for advice thank you in advance

Classic super offer followed by chasing the speed investing money mostly in speedtest. No home router has true 10Gbps capable hardware. Some have 10Gbps ports only. Your Asus single choice is GT-AXE16000 and careful what you enable in firmware. Where the 10Gbps is going to go is another question you perhaps have no answer to. You need 10Gbps switch with 10Gbps wired clients, both expensive. Your Wi-Fi will be the same as with your current AX86U. Over $1000 later you'll find your Internet experience is the same. Win for your ISP and hardware vendors. Good luck with this super offer.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that. I have no intention of passing out, I live off my salary. At this point what do you recommend ax 6000 dual band Wifi 6 or the Asus AX86U pro? I basically took the offer as I would go and save 20 euros a month by doing this upgrade.

None of them is going to be significant upgrade to your existing RT-AX86U. Wi-Fi speed is limited by client capabilities. Common 2-stream AC client can do about 500Mbps, common 2-stream AX client about 800Mbps. This only close to the router with good signal. Common wired client is up to Gigabit. If you want above Gigabit you have to invest money in 2.5GbE or 10GbE capable infrastructure plus upgrade/replacement of clients so something can actually use the bandwidth. A proper ready to go x86 gateway with 10Gbps WAN/LAN ports starts from about $800. A matching all 10Gbps ports switch can be in thousands depending on ports number and power budget (if with PoE). You are looking at an entire network overhaul with big budget.

ISPs are offering fast lines because they know very well very few customers will actually use the bandwidth. A Gigabit line was perhaps shared between X number of users, now 10Gbps line will be shared between 10X number of users resulting in more money collected in fees vs some increase in real traffic. It's a pretty smart business and the super offer is the lure. Your ISP is fishing for new customers. Offers like this usually include number of months promo price, then regular higher or plan change for extra fee and perhaps higher from where you started. Check the fine print before you sign a contract.

I thank you for the advice, very helpful which for a layman like me is
really important, I will treat the contract more carefully, since
until proven otherwise I am very comfortable with my current configuration , I may not change anything.

@amnesia2, as usual, the details matter here.

What is the actual cost to you to move to 10Gbps Fibre?

Depending on that objective cost, a GT-AX6000 as a main router and your current RT-AX86U as a wired node (via the 2.5GbE Ports) will provide a noticeable improvement to all your current devices and will decrease the latency by a factor of 2.5 times too. If you have any wired-capable 2.5GbE devices, an additional switch will be needed too (and maybe two of them if your 2.5GbE devices are not all located near one router or the other).

While the 10Gbps plan may seem 'wasted' with 2.5GbE equipment, depending on the cost, it may still be worth it in the end. And, after the contract period is over, you can still fall back down to a lower tier at any time too.

Removing the RT-AC86U from your main/AiMesh network will also give you a lower latency network. If you want to continue using it, I'd suggest using it for any wired-capable devices in Media Bridge mode (even if you don't change plans today).

Don't believe you have one choice in this path. There are many things to consider.

So, what will it actually cost you to change plans today (ISP charges)?

With the ISP plan in place and a solid upgrade from your current 1Gbps speeds (are they symmetrical?) you will be in a great place to wait for the WiFi 7 equipment to become available, stable, and ready to be tested in your environment at your pleasure.

There is no 'need' for greater than 50 or 100Mbps plans for most people, but if the cost to go to 1Gbps is negligible for their budgets, then not upgrading is hurting them in the long run. Whether they realize it or not.

If you're able to secure a trial period (for both the ISP increase and return policies on the router), then do so. That is the only way you'll know if the benefits are obvious in your networking environment and use.

Good luck.

Hi L&LD,
Hello, I currently spend 34.99 €, with the upgrade to 10Gbps Fibre on promotion for 12 months I would pay 29.99 €, after this period the price would rise to 39.99 €.
The IPS guarantees 10Gbp XGS-PON broadband access, so symmetrical.
I wanted to ask you I would have through an acquaintance of mine the opportunity to get at the same price as the ax6000, an ax11000 pro, what do you think about it?I premise I am not a gamer, but given the opportunity...
Thank you very much for the very welcome advice

GT-AX11000 Pro is the same hardware as GT-AX6000, but with one extra 5GHz radio and one 10GbE port. You obviously need a new toy to play with.

I understand laurel in case I switch to 10gpbs, I will opt for an ax6000, since
that the last thing on my mind is to buy a PS5 or Xbox.

With GT-AX6000 you can do speed test about 2.3Gbps. The same as your RT-AX86U. Your wireless will stay the same and your wired clients will still be limited to Gigabit. You get RGB light to make you happy. With GT-AX11000 Pro you can do faster speed test, eventually. Everything else stays the same unless you add 2.5GbE switch and something wired to use 2.5GbE. You also get RGB light with AX11000 to make you happy. If you are lucky and 160GHz wide channel works well in your area, and you have 160MHz wide channel capable clients, and you are close to the router - you may see 1.7Gbps on Wi-Fi. As I said above - you are mostly investing in speed test. Your ISP plan savings are gone plus few hundred expenses on top for minor improvements.

If you have a wife, but you don't like her too much anymore - get this GT-AX6000 EVA Edition and wall mount it in the living room:

1685742016922.png

GT-AX11000 Pro used for the same purpose:

1685742277022.png

Make sure you point a light at it to get the antenna shadow effect. ;)

Last edited:
I cannot comment on the GT-AX11000 Pro, as I have no experience with it. Personally, I would not gamble that it will be superior to the proven GT-AX6000 (with such similar hardware). A model that had two 10GbE ports may be much more useful if you also had the client devices to match.

The prices that you quoted are excellent. I would jump on that deal in a heartbeat. Save some fees for a year, and decide then if you want to spend 5€ more a month then.

Don't listen to the nonsense of how little you'll benefit from this upgrade. The real benefit is the 2.5 factor decrease in latency that you'll appreciate every time you use your network. Even with wireless clients, this will be noticeable, ime.

I choose EVA

First, never say this to your wife. The result will be like "Instant regret" videos on YouTube. Second, make a good story why the "upgrade" was needed. She won't see much of a difference after you "saved" a few euro a month in fees and wasted few hundred in hardware. Stay safe. :)

Thank you L&LD and Tech9, for the advice you gave me, I finally signed the new contract today since even when the 12-month promotion ends, I will always pay less than now.

I finally signed the new contract today since even when the 12-month promotion ends, I will always pay less than now.

What about this?

I currently spend 34.99 €, with the upgrade to 10Gbps Fibre on promotion for 12 months I would pay 29.99 €, after this period the price would rise to 39.99 €.

I see €60 in savings only. One new router and you are paying more right from the start.