What's new

What type of real world speeds can I hope for on the RT-N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mummel

Regular Contributor
If my link speed is 450mbps, would a transfer rate of ~7-8MB/s be a good target? Thanks.

I have RT-N66U but my adapters on all my computers are only 2x2 capable with max link speed of 300 Mbps. I consistently get 11 MB/s file copy speed on 5 Ghz. Sometimes I can get 12 MB/s file copy speed. And occasionally 10 MB/s when I have tested with all firmware currently on ASUS site (including Merlin firmware too). My link speed is always 300 Mbps when I tested.

I haven't tested much on 2.4 Ghz because it is set to 20 MHz.

I use TeraCopy on my old laptop to test file copy speed. I connect laptop to N66U 5ghz and copy a large file to a samba capable device that has a 1TB seagate and that samba device is connected via cat5e with a gigabit connection to one of the N66U's LAN ports.

I have RT-N66U but my adapters on all my computers are only 2x2 capable with max link speed of 300 Mbps. I consistently get 11 MB/s file copy speed on 5 Ghz. Sometimes I can get 12 MB/s file copy speed. And occasionally 10 MB/s when I have tested with all firmware currently on ASUS site (including Merlin firmware too). My link speed is always 300 Mbps when I tested.

I use TeraCopy on my old laptop to test file copy speed. I connect laptop to N66U 5ghz and copy a large file to a samba capable device that has a 1TB seagate and that samba device is connected via cat5e with a gigabit connection to one of the N66U's LAN ports.

Thanks for this. Yeah, this is exactly the info I was looking for. At 5ghz with a 300mbps link speed, I should shoot for 10MB/s+ transfer rates. I would be so happy if I could achieve these rates haha! Thanks man.

Oh one last question - do you have line of sight to the router? How far are you from it? Thanks.

Laptop is only 8 feet away from router when I test.

Keep in mind that I don't use the USB ports on the N66u when I test. If you use USB ports on N66U with a USB hard drive connected, you might only get 7-8 MB/s. I'm not sure.

I use a quasi-NAS connected to the N66U's LAN port. My quasi-NAS is only capable of 20 MB/s write max. My NAS motherboard died and I didn't get a new NAS or motherboard.

Anyway, if you're using the USB ports on N66U, check thiggins review of N66U on this site to see what he got in his tests.