What's new

What versions/builds of Windows officially support Wi-Fi 6E (6GHz)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

erick_e

Regular Contributor
I'm trying to get clarification, or release notes, to which versions of Windows 10 and Windows 11 officially support W-Fi 6E (6GHz). I'm trying to troubleshoot a new laptop XPS 9520 laptop with factory integrated AX211 adapter that will not connect to my 6GHz network.

I've done a fresh install of W11 and even installed the Insider Preview 22H2 and my laptop still cannot see the network.

I have two other laptops that see the 6GHz network with the Insider Preview installed but not the release version of W11, and one W10 computer that does see it at all.

Since it's relatively new there seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation and I can't find any official release notes to show support, so does any release version of Windows 10 or Windows 11 support Wi-Fi 6E, or it is only the Dev Channel of the Insider Program? Are there any release notes that actually mention 6E support?

Windows 11 Pro only, afaik.

Network operation is usually not OS specific. It is driver specific and if the network hardware manufacturer provides drivers for the OS. Intel lists the AX211 as compatible on Windows 11, 64-bit*, Windows 10, 64-bit*, Linux*, Chrome OS* (https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...7/intel-wifi-6e-ax211-gig/specifications.html). Drivers at: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/204837/intel-wifi-6e-ax211-gig/downloads.html

If you are using drivers from Windows Update they may not be the latest.

Also the ax211 is the cnvio version of the 210. Use the drivers from Intel directly and check the properties to make sure it's enabled for 6ghz.

Windows 11 Pro only, afaik.
I should have asked what build(s) of Windows 11 officially support 6E. I edited the title for clarity.

Of my three W11 Pro computers with 6E adapters, two of them will only connect to the 6GHz network using the Dev Channel Insider Preview version of Windows 11, currently 22H2 build 25163.1010, and the XPS 9520 doesn't see 6E at all. Dell is telling me that doesn't support 6E, even though it has an OEM AX211 installed adapter, which doesn't make any sense unless they purposely disabled it's 6E support. Not ruling that out just yet.

Network operation is usually not OS specific. It is driver specific and if the network hardware manufacturer provides drivers for the OS. Intel lists the AX211 as compatible on Windows 11, 64-bit*, Windows 10, 64-bit*, Linux*, Chrome OS* (https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...7/intel-wifi-6e-ax211-gig/specifications.html). Drivers at: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/204837/intel-wifi-6e-ax211-gig/downloads.html

If you are using drivers from Windows Update they may not be the latest.
I've tried the latest Intel and OEM Dell drivers.

Also the ax211 is the cnvio version of the 210. Use the drivers from Intel directly and check the properties to make sure it's enabled for 6ghz.
Yes, it is integrated into the motherboard. My other laptops with upgraded AX210 adapters work, but only using the Insider Preview Edition of W11, which is why I'm trying to find out what versions/builds of W11 officially support 6E.

My clevo came with a 211 but the first thing I did was put my 210 into it. The whole cnvio thing just seems odd offloading some of the WiFi functions to the Mobo/cpu all to save OEMs maybe $2/unit.

You wouldn’t gain anything by switching to a 210 from a 211 (assuming it wasn’t 6E neutered) functionality wise and in regards to savings for manufacturers, small costs do add up especially across multiple components and units in general. Granted from the consumer side you are screwed upgradability wise and if you have one with firmware blocking certain functionality like HT160 or 6E or something….

OP any version of W11 should work officially. I remember during my last router beta test some users had the same issue getting 6E to work with the AX210 (wasn’t tied to one brand, one guy had an HP and never got it to work), for some it took a few tries/restarts with the W10 registry edit (W11 wasn’t out at the time)…Likely some Windows or driver issue. A long shot but try upgrading the bios, since you have a cnvi variant. Hopefully you don’t have neutered version, as mentioned in the first paragraph.

Last edited:
Your region will matter, not just the OS and driver. In Canada for instance, even tho the government officially opened the 6 GHz band back in May 2021, it's only during spring 2022 that Windows/Intel updated their regulatory database to allow using the 6 GHz band in Canada, while it was already working in the US even with previous driver/OS versions.

Your region will matter, not just the OS and driver. In Canada for instance, even tho the government officially opened the 6 GHz band back in May 2021, it's only during spring 2022 that Windows/Intel updated their regulatory database to allow using the 6 GHz band in Canada, while it was already working in the US even with previous driver/OS versions.
I should have mentioned that I am located in the US, and the laptop was purchased from Dell US.

It really does seem like a software issue.

I've tried the 22.45.1.1 driver as seen here Fix for 6 GHz Wi-Fi on the Intel AX210 : framework (reddit.com) and the XPS 9520 does see and connect with that driver only using the latest release version of W11 and the Insider Preview Edition. No other driver works with either version of Windows on the XPS 9520.

For another computer, a Precision 7560 which has a Dell installed AX210 adapter, I'm trying to figure out why only the Windows Insider Preview Edition allows 6E and the release version does not, which is why I'm trying to find out exactly which build(s) of Windows 11 actually support 6E.

I just don't know if its limitation of the OS, the driver, a potentially "neutered" wireless adapter from Dell, or any combination thereof.

The simple (correct) answer is, it's Dell.

Seems you have a hatred for Dell (They must have really done something to you lol, since this is not the first time you brought them up). You might be jumping the gun, without knowing what the underlying issue really is yet. Especially since OP got two to work on some versions of Windows and this isn’t a Dell only issue… as I mentioned in regards to the beta test previously, likely something OS/driver side.

If going by personal anecdotes though, I’d say HP/Asus were far worse issues and after sales service wise in regards to laptops, not a one off but consistent experience across family and friends most of whom now have either Lenovos, Dells or MBPs.

OP if in US it’s unlikely you have a neutered version… Did you try updating the bios since you have a cnvi variant? Just in case there was a PCH issue or something that was fixed..

Last edited:
I just don't know if its limitation of the OS, the driver, a potentially "neutered" wireless adapter from Dell, or any combination thereof.
One thing to try: create a bootable Ubuntu 22.04 USB drive, and test it on all your machines. You'll see if you get Wifi 6E working on all of them or not. If only some machines don't work, then you'll know it's a hardware issue (BIOS or card), not a software issue.

One thing to try: create a bootable Ubuntu 22.04 USB drive, and test it on all your machines. You'll see if you get Wifi 6E working on all of them or not. If only some machines don't work, then you'll know it's a hardware issue (BIOS or card), not a software issue.
Thank you.

I can successfully report that all four systems that have an AX210/AX211 adapter installed, two of which are OEM installed, are able to identify and connect to the 6GHz network in Ubuntu. Although Ubuntu did stop responding on the XPS 9520 after booting it was still able to load and identify the 6E network before it stopped responding.

So, it is definitely an Operating System or driver issue. I have been working with Intel and Dell support and have even tried a "new" driver without success. Dell's only response is to highlight the manual and specifications which do not list 6E support.

Post 10 still valid! :D

Post 10 still valid! :D
We already proved that it was NOT a hardware issue, since the same Dell works fine under Linux.

This is a Windows issue.

No, it's a Dell issue. They already stated as much.

Dell's only response is to highlight the manual and specifications which do not list 6E support.

I've tried the 22.45.1.1 driver as seen here Fix for 6 GHz Wi-Fi on the Intel AX210 : framework (reddit.com) and the XPS 9520 does see and connect with that driver only using the latest release version of W11 and the Insider Preview Edition. No other driver works with either version of Windows on the XPS 9520.

Doesn't the 9520 ship with the "Killer AX 1675" variant of the AX211?

Have you tried the latest intel drivers that shipped on 7/12/22?

Doesn't the 9520 ship with the "Killer AX 1675" variant of the AX211?

Have you tried the latest intel drivers that shipped on 7/12/22?

Yes it does, and the adapter is integrated to the motherboard via CNVio2

I have tried the latest drivers from both Dell and Intel, and even a newer driver from Intel without success.

Intel support has been very helpful and thinks it's limitation of the OS but continues to help me troubleshoot. Dell support not so much. And apparently I'm not the only one with this issue according to other threads Intel and Dell's support sites.

I posted this video in another thread, but it really is this crazy.

Intel support has been very helpful and thinks it's limitation of the OS but continues to help me troubleshoot. Dell support not so much. And apparently I'm not the only one with this issue according to other threads Intel and Dell's support sites.

Sounds like maybe something in UEFI - there is a lot going on down there underneath the operating systems on newer Intel and AMD systems on chip (we really can't just call them a CPU any more).

Dell may have disabled 6GHz support - they have to qualify the entire computer with the AX1675, they may have simply chosen not to spend the time/money to do it, who knows...

Intel obviously knows their silicon should work - so a lot of it is on Dell - which the team that designed and qualified the 9520 has moved on to their next product, leaving the sustaining support engineers to sort out the mess...

No, it's a Dell issue. They already stated as much.
That's not a technical explanation from an engineer, that's a level 1 tech support quoting a user manual. Just like Lenovo telling me that my Ideapad 5 cannot support an AX210 by saying "if it's not on the compatible part list, then it doesn't work". The AX210 I have installed is working just fine right now. Their tech support just quoted me a user manual rather than have an actual engineer confirm whether or not it would be blacklisted by the BIOS. Same thing happening here for the OP.

He tested it with Linux and it works. So, the hardware is fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!