What's new

What wifi card are you using on Windows 7?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kickingkirk

Occasional Visitor
I've got an N66U and I'm on the verge of returning it. I have a Linksys WMP600N PCI card and also the USB dongle variant (both are dual band). I'm running Windows 7.

I experience bad spikes on the N66U using both stock and Merlin's firmware with these cards (playing SWTOR, for example, lag will jump to 6 seconds and continue rising until I disconnect). I've tried several different drivers (for the WMP600N, a driver from 2009, 2012, and 2013), yet the issue remains to some degree. 5GHz seems worse than the 2.4GHz band.

I've reverted back to the built in Wifi on my ISP cable modem and every thing seems okay so far (but needs further testing). Before the Asus, I had a Linksys E1000 that worked flawlessly until the radio died.

Those with Windows 7, what card and drivers are you using successfully with the N66U or other Asus routers?

Have you tried running inSSIDer to see if you get disturbances on the wifi on both bands ?
What firmware is on the N66U ? You can see in this forum for a stable Asus or Merlin f/w.
I have Asus USB-N53 on my Win 7 pc:s and use TomatoUSB Shibby on my
N66U.

I've got an N66U and I'm on the verge of returning it. I have a Linksys WMP600N PCI card and also the USB dongle variant (both are dual band). I'm running Windows 7.

I experience bad spikes on the N66U using both stock and Merlin's firmware with these cards (playing SWTOR, for example, lag will jump to 6 seconds and continue rising until I disconnect). I've tried several different drivers (for the WMP600N, a driver from 2009, 2012, and 2013), yet the issue remains to some degree. 5GHz seems worse than the 2.4GHz band.

I've reverted back to the built in Wifi on my ISP cable modem and every thing seems okay so far (but needs further testing). Before the Asus, I had a Linksys E1000 that worked flawlessly until the radio died.

Those with Windows 7, what card and drivers are you using successfully with the N66U or other Asus routers?

Have you tried running inSSIDer to see if you get disturbances on the wifi on both bands ?
What firmware is on the N66U ? You can see in this forum for a stable Asus or Merlin f/w.
I have Asus USB-N53 on my Win 7 pc:s and use TomatoUSB Shibby on my
N66U.

My area is pretty quiet. No overlaps. Usually can't even pick up any other networks. I tired both the latest stable of Merlin and Asus. I do find the base Asus firmware to be awkward (coming from DD-WRT and Tomato on other routers). I may try out Tomato.

A quick search does return some issues with my Linksys WMP600N on Windows 7, but none I've found so far seem to describe my issue. I'm going to sit down tonight and see if I can reproduce the problem on my other WAP.

I use an Intel 6230 in my laptop which is suffice for regular internet and the occasional mkv movie file. For higher bitrate bluray rips I swich to a Trendnet 684 but sometimes also to a MOCA wired connection.

I'm running an Atheros AR5B93 and it runs at 300 Mbps constantly and a Edimax EW-7733UnD and it runs at a constant 450 Mbps running Merlin's .270.26b F/W.

I have a Centrino 6230 in my laptop, and regularly connect to my RT-AC56U over 5 GHz without any visible issue (I mostly work over SSH).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!