What's new

What would be a good extender for RT-AC1900U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rhialto

When I say good I mean in overall range and security. Brand does not matter as long as security is fine. Router is currently in basement and 2 floors above in opposite corner it's quite difficult for my son to get good signal so plan is to add such a device on first floor. I know moving the router on first floor would be better but it's wired to the PC I use and also a NAS so it has to stay there unfortunatly. For the purpose, 2.4Ghz only I guess would solve his issue.

Last edited:
When I say good I mean in overall range and security. Brand does not matter as long as security is fine. Router is currently in basement and 2 floors above in opposite corner it's quite difficult for my son to get good signal so plan is to add such a device on first floor. I know moving the router on first floor would be better but it's wired to the PC I use and also a NAS so it has to stay there unfortunatly. For the purpose, 2.4Ghz only I guess would solve his issue.
RT-AC66U_B1 as AiMesh node
RT-AC68U as AiMesh node
Or get an AC86U for the main router and use the AC1900U as an AiMesh node

Stay away from range extenders.

Agreed 'range extender' or 'repeaters', etc. are to be avoided at all costs (they're worse than PLA's within a busy network).

If the router you buy can be wired and placed on the first floor, that will give the best performance increase for all wireless client devices that are not normally in the basement.

Ideally, all you should have to do is run two Ethernet cables (at a minimum) to the first floor where the router can be located and allow it to provide Wi-Fi as it's meant to (i.e. optimally positioned).

You will need one run to the WAN connection of the router, and another run to connect to the router's LAN port to go back down to the office to connect the PC and NAS (and note: the NAS can move upstairs too if there is a suitable location for it to plug into the routers new location).

So, at the most, you will need $20 worth of switches if you don't already have them plus the Ethernet cables. Then, the home's network will be much more reliable than with even a wireless AiMesh node and particularly a range extender/repeater setup could ever hope to be. And be more stable and much cheaper too.

I found a spot where I could possibily install it if only there was a power outlet there... I think it will become a project of doing this.

Before you bring out the big Cats to do this, run a power extension cable to the spot to see how the Wi-Fi likes being there. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!