What's new

What you would buy in my situation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nesb

New Around Here
It is sad story :) About 10 years ago I was net eng for Gloabal Crossing, but these days I'm a corporate tax accountant looking for advice on what to buy for my home network. So, here we go:

What I currently have.
2 story house.
1st floor. Panasonic TV model TH-50PZ800U (out of 4 HDMI ports 1 is available). Popcorn A-200 (w/ ethernet port) is connected to one of the HDMIs port of the TV.

2nd floor.
TW cable connection. Ambit U10C018.80 modem. D-Link WBR-1310 switch/router, Vonage box. Desktop: HP HPE-570t.

Distance beween 1st floor TV & computer desk is about 40ft. First floor also has kitchen w/microwave. We have hardwood floors. Running CAT cables between floor is expensive.

What I'm looking for:
Advice on what network equipment (router(s)/access point) you would recommend to buy if I want for example to have
Netflix service or see movies on TV from my hard drive (internal or external). I guess I need a reliable, fast routers that would not drop network connection if I turn on a microwave on the first floor :)

Thanks in advance.