What's new

What's a cheap, reliable way to extend WiFi range?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shasarak

Regular Contributor
I'm using an Asus RT-AC86U router, Merlin firmware.

I get reasonable WiFi quality throughout the house, but there's a black spot at the back next to the boiler. This has suddenly become a problem because the new "smart" boiler thermostat requires a WiFi signal at the boiler end.

Is there a reasonably cheap, reasonably reliable device that can act as a WiFi booster/extender/repeater to give me a better signal out there?

RT-AC66U_B1 in Aimesh mode would be easiest way, if possible connected via LAN-backhaul.
Or any old Wifi-device in AP-mode (ethernet-) or repeater mode (Wifi-backhaul).

RT-AC66U_B1 in Aimesh mode would be easiest way,
I was hoping to spend a little less than that. :)

Or any old Wifi-device in AP-mode (ethernet-) or repeater mode (Wifi-backhaul).
No specific recommendation...? I don't need top-notch performance, and in fact don't even need 5GHz WiFi or wired Ethernet, just a solid 2.4GHz signal relayed from the master router.

It needs to be reliable enough not to crash, but otherwise no-frills.

I'm using an Asus RT-AC86U router, Merlin firmware.

I get reasonable WiFi quality throughout the house, but there's a black spot at the back next to the boiler. This has suddenly become a problem because the new "smart" boiler thermostat requires a WiFi signal at the boiler end.

Is there a reasonably cheap, reasonably reliable device that can act as a WiFi booster/extender/repeater to give me a better signal out there?

The 86U has good range... can you move it a bit to fix the coverage at the boiler?

OE

I was hoping to spend a little less than that. :)

No specific recommendation...? I don't need top-notch performance, and in fact don't even need 5GHz WiFi or wired Ethernet, just a solid 2.4GHz signal relayed from the master router.

It needs to be reliable enough not to crash, but otherwise no-frills.
search ebay for a cheap used one supported by John's fork (N16, N66U, AC66U,AC56U, AC68U),
so you have updates and same UI as on main router: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v36e4.18914/

The 86U has good range... can you move it a bit to fix the coverage at the boiler?
I could, but not without introducing cabling problems. I don't want this to turn into a major DIY project. :)

search ebay for a cheap used one supported by John's fork (N16, N66U, AC66U,AC56U, AC68U),
I may well do that.

But these devices do more than I need them to. Isn't there a cheaper and simpler WiFi repeater device which does that and nothing else? I can't be the only person who has this problem.

Correct.

That looks more like the sort of price bracket I had in mind! :) How do you actually configure that - how does it connect to your existing WiFi, for example - you presumably have to give it a password...?
You can set it up several ways. You can use WPS or, as I did, download the TP-Link app on your phone and use that to set it up. It also has its own gui once it is connected and has an IP. Pretty easy through either gui or app. I keep it isolated to my guest LAN SSID for security. You can either have it repeat the original SSID or a different one. It can have it's own DHCP or pass requests back to the router.

Last edited:
You and set it up several ways. You can use WPS or, as I did, download the TP-Link app on your phone and use that to set it up. It also has its own gui once it is connected and has an IP. Pretty easy through either gui or app. I keep it isolated to my guest LAN SSID for security. You can either have it repeat the original SSID or a different one. It can have it's own DHCP or pass requests back to the router.
That sounds ideal. :) I'll give that a go.

If you are looking for a cheaper solution, try using cable outlets to send Wi-Fi signals over the coaxial cables on your home. You don’t need to reconfigure your Wi-Fi settings, nor to replace a router. You just need to twist a few cable connectors which costs about 5–8 times less than the average whole-home mesh.

That sounds ideal. :) I'll give that a go.
You should be fine with this setup as Thermostats, or at least my WiFi thermostat generate very little traffic.
Based on the stats recorded using Merlin on my router the thermostat uses slightly more than 2 MB daily with the total for thirty days being 65.4 MB.