What's new

What’s the best way to change router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Khadanja

Currently have RT-AC68U, unbound, AgH, skhnet, scribe. Would like to change to RT-AC86U. What’s the best way? Can I install amtm on RT-AC86U & plug the same USB that was connected to RT-AC68U?

I have found it best to start fresh when setting up a new router, especially if it is a different model than the one it is replacing.

I would advice to not go with AC86U a lot issues after same time of working like wf-fi 2.4 gone etc. If you plan to upgrade AC68U you should think about AX86S or U

the best way is to format USB device and setup all again. To install amtm you need to have prepared USB in.

Currently have RT-AC68U, unbound, AgH, skhnet, scribe. Would like to change to RT-AC86U. What’s the best way? Can I install amtm on RT-AC86U & plug the same USB that was connected to RT-AC68U?
The only thing you can readily move from one router to another is the list of static IPs if they have been exported using YazDHCP on the AC68 and if the router you buy supports YazDHCP you can import them onto the new router after installing YazDHCP.

AMTM is part of the Merlin firmware at this point, so there's no installing to do other than flashing Merlin to the router and re-configuring for your ISP connection, and THEN installing and re-configuring your chosen scripts through AMTM. Diversion will even (re-)format your entware device, so the process to change router hardware shouldn't be as involved as you might fear. Plan for an hour or two when nobody needs internet connectivity and you surely will hear from them if there are any problems you need to address when you tell them you're back in business.

I usually encourage people who have Native IPv6 from their ISP to consider enabling it when they do this if they haven't already: Unless you've specific reasons not to, it's usually as simple as enabling that part of the router's functionality and then just continue using your network connection as you have in the past. I had to bridge my ISP modem and configure my router to authenticate with my ISP to take advantage of the IPv6 part of my connection, but with this latest Merlin release (v386.9), the cumulative uptime for my AC86 has been 60 days without issue.

Hope this helps, good luck, and happy upgrading!!

take advantage of the IPv6 part

What exactly advantage?

IPv6 is default Disabled on Asus routers and better stays this way when public IPv4 WAN address is available. Complications with @Khadanja configuration - possible VPN data leaks, special attention to AdGuard Home DNS filtering, Skynet is IPv4 only. Why create an issue and then look for solutions? IPv6 is not faster and the router is not more secure with dual stack. All security techniques applied to IPv4 have to be applied to IPv6 as well.

Last edited:
What exactly advantage?
<sigh> Happy Monday to you too, @Tech9

future-proofness - the bots are coming, and they'll have their own IP addys
so you won't have to worry about more config changes later - set and forget for now and longer, which may include obtaining necessary knowledge

(I did say IF it's available to CONSIDER enabling it - everyone is free to make their own decisions and choices)

Staying on the IPv6 theme, neither of my ISPs offer IPv6 connectivity, so for me it’s all a mute point. :)

future-proofness - the bots are coming, and they'll have their own IP addys

Why wait for the future? With your cheap home router with partial IPv6 support and buggy firmware - let the bots hit you now!

@Khadanja, keep IPv6 disabled if you don't need it. Don't enable firmware features you don't need. Keep it simple.

Why wait for the future? With your cheap home router with partial IPv6 support and buggy firmware - let the bots hit you now!

@Khadanja, keep IPv6 disabled if you don't need it. Don't enable firmware features you don't need. Keep it simple.
Specially if he's using Skynet, than definitely dont need to enable the IPV6 option.

I was playing lately with AdGuard Home and this one is more challenging with IPv6 enabled.

By the way, AX86U with IPv6 Native enabled, latest available stock Asuswrt:

1678121385145.png

A little httpd crash - no WebUI for a while, relax. It works perfectly... full Asus experience.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!