What's new

Whats the best wireless advanced settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John DeLuca

Regular Contributor
Hello i was wondering what the optimal values would be for wireless 5ghz in the advanced tab. My major questions are, when the multicast rate is set to auto, will OFDM most likely be used/ are there any benefits to fine tuning the multicast rate. Enabling IGMP Snooping have any benefits (I have the GT-AC5300 so processing power isn't really an issue. DTIM interval and Beacon interval, are higher numbers better or lower numbers. Finally are there any other advanced settings that should be used.

My use case is mostly gaming on wifi, a lot of youtube, not too much streaming and the house is on the larger size but no range issues.

Thanks!

PS: I think there should be a sticky with what is the optimal settings to get the most out of asus routers.

Hello i was wondering what the optimal values would be for wireless 5ghz in the advanced tab. My major questions are, when the multicast rate is set to auto, will OFDM most likely be used/ are there any benefits to fine tuning the multicast rate. Enabling IGMP Snooping have any benefits (I have the GT-AC5300 so processing power isn't really an issue. DTIM interval and Beacon interval, are higher numbers better or lower numbers. Finally are there any other advanced settings that should be used.

My use case is mostly gaming on wifi, a lot of youtube, not too much streaming and the house is on the larger size but no range issues.

Thanks!

PS: I think there should be a sticky with what is the optimal settings to get the most out of asus routers.

Set channels for both bands and in professional settings disable airtime fairness and universal beamforming on BOTH bands.

Pretty much it.

Here are my 5 GHz settings. IGMP snooping won't tax the router CPU at all. I've never had any issue with universal beamforming, so I leave it enabled. Multi-user MIMO is a fail, so disable that.

One comment I'll make is that the wifi signal broadcast strength varies from model-to-model, so for each model I own, I survey my channels, and then manually set the broadcast channel. For my AC86U routers, I found that setting the control channel to 153 produces the strongest broadcast signal in the available 5 GHz bands. If you've got the time, you'll want to survey signal strength around your house trying each of the 5 GHz channels. Consistency in wifi device placement (presumably a laptop or cell phone with wifi analyzer software installed) is critical when doing this, and its also important to try to get all the measurements in the same session because receive strength as seen by a wifi device can vary throughout the day for various reasons. Don't expect to see a huge difference in broadcast strength between the channels, but I expect that there will be some, and IMHO, its enough to make it worth the effort. If your router supports using the DFS spectrum, avoid using it.

AP 5 GHz General.jpg

AP 5 GHz Advanced.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!