What's new

What's the Command to force a specific wireless Client to disconnect or reconnect?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snakebite3

An Asus rep left me with this.

" Actually, there is this kind of command, but it's hard to teach normal user, it's about the wireless driver's command.
You can use "wl -i [interface] deauthenticate [MAC]"(I am not sure it's deauthenticate or not, you can check by yourself.),
today isn't working day, I don't have the device to check the command.
If you are interest in wireless command, you can ask someone in this forum or Merlin, I think it's more quick."

Can someone elaborate on that? I need a way break an Active connection because Parental Control time scheduling keep active connections alive(Youtube).
I'm using a AC68u. The user is on 2.4Ghz. I don't want to force everyone on the network to reset their connections. How do I force a specific wireless Client to disconnect or reconnect?

Last edited:
You can deauthenticate a client, but it will just immediately reauthenticate itself, so I'm not sure if it will cause all its existing TCP sessions to immediately close down. You'll have to try for yourself. Over SSH:

Code:
wl deauthenticate 11:22:33:44:55:66

thx. It didn't work. :( Wireless log shows is never got disconnected.

It does get disconnected - I could see the connection timer reset back to 0:00:00 here when I tested it. Double check your MAC.

It does get disconnected - I could see the connection timer reset back to 0:00:00 here when I tested it. Double check your MAC.
Thx! FYI I reused the previous inputted command in Putty so there wasn't any room for errors. It does work but with clients on 2.4Ghz only. Which is what I needed. I was trying it on myself [5Ghz]. For my future reference how do I disconnect on 5Ghz?

Thx! FYI I reused the previous inputted command in Putty so there wasn't any room for errors. It does work but with clients on 2.4Ghz only. Which is what I needed. I was trying it on myself [5Ghz]. For my future reference how do I disconnect on 5Ghz?

Code:
wl -i eth2 deauthenticate 11:22:33:44:55:66

Code:
wl -i eth2 deauthenticate 11:22:33:44:55:66
HI RMerlin,

Will it possibile that you can add a kick button when click on Mac Address on Wifi List? if it can be on Client View List will be best.
also, on Client View List, can you also add the Mac address a click link that shows manufacture as Wifi List?

HI RMerlin,

Will it possibile that you can add a kick button when click on Mac Address on Wifi List? if it can be on Client View List will be best.
also, on Client View List, can you also add the Mac address a click link that shows manufacture as Wifi List?

No, because such a button would be useless - client would just reassociate immediately.

Networkmap already shows manufacturer info when you click on a MAC.

Hi RMerlin,

Thanks for the quick response, I am kind of confusing right now as my Networkmap don't show Manufactory info, I do remember long time ago firmware version does support on netowork map but not a while, I am currently on AC66U - 380.70 and AC88U - 384.60, on networkmap I feel one thing border me long time, I can't select the mac and copy that on networkmap,
one more thing, I found below pic by accident in this forum, I can't found "Block Internet" "Time schedule" "Mac & IP bonding" as below, how can I make mine as below?

Rs86qvf.png

Click on the MAC address on the client list:

upload_2018-10-15_22-51-51.png

Wow. thanks RMerlin, I never check on right side panel, I didn't aware it, I usually click on "View List" as it can shows all in one page and it can sort increasing order, that would be lot easier to view, why "View List" don't have same function?

Wow. thanks RMerlin, I never check on right side panel, I didn't aware it, I usually click on "View List" as it can shows all in one page and it can sort increasing order, that would be lot easier to view, why "View List" don't have same function?

Probably a design decision from Asus. Could be a technical reason too (since that list is a panel on top of the actual page, maybe they easily open a sub-panel without a lot of rework).

No, because such a button would be useless - client would just reassociate immediately.

Networkmap already shows manufacturer info when you click on a MAC.
Dear RMerlin,

I think such button (kick out client) could be useful in two scenarios:
1. When you want to kick out and block a client.
2. When you have more than one Access Point and you want a client to reconnect to another AP (with a stronger signal).

Ubiquity have this option in their commercial routers. I find it very useful.

Other than that - I really like your work (and I showed it by donating to the cause :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!