What's new

What's up with ASUS they been pretty quiet for months?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

they could support guest network on their aimesh nodes!
Or correct wifi settings (wireless modes) not working since years
or bridge/repeater modes
or DDNS with multi-NAT
or dual WAN
or download master (super slow and buggy)
or IPv6 repairing
or stable client list (perhaps with clients seen within last 1 minute and greyed out seen last hour)
or or or, so many things not working as they should.

Last edited:
Things I don't understand is like how the Asus app can more or less show all hostnames in it's client list correctly by default and the router just can't, shows mostly just MAC addresses.

Anyone know what's up? Most firmware's are a couple months+ old.

An RT-AX88U firmware was released a week ago, for starter. I also know they have an update under development for most models, no ETA however (last ETA I had was mid-november).

There's definitely a lot of work going on right now, including some potentially exciting features coming up.

It would have been awesome if they updated the GUI to make it 4K friendly and more responsive.

But alas... they wont.

to make it 4K friendly

What website is "4K friendly"? This is intended for computers, not for 60" TVs in the living room...

and more responsive.

Feels damn responsive here on my RT-AX88U. Faster than any other router I have ever used.

What website is "4K friendly"? This is intended for computers, not for 60" TVs in the living room...
4K friendly means running on 4K with hiDPI scaling factor of 200%. Asus's router home page has all icons in 1080p. This is why they all look blurry on a 4K screen.

Feels damn responsive here on my RT-AX88U. Faster than any other router I have ever used.
Pardon us under privileged who will have access to AX88U after 2-3 years. AC88U was available just 4-5 months back on amazon and RT-AC86U has not even released yet

An RT-AX88U firmware was released a week ago, for starter. I also know they have an update under development for most models, no ETA however (last ETA I had was mid-november).

There's definitely a lot of work going on right now, including some potentially exciting features coming up.

LOL well I don't have an AX88U yet so i'm not feeling the love on a brand new router offering. Some of the routers FW are 6+ months old. That's a bit of time on the FW front. Understanding that they tend to support devices much longer then other companies (its why I buy their stuff) but kind of keep users up to speed on whats up. Or tell users these products are end of life time to move on. Something that's what prompted me to post this.

4K friendly means running on 4K with hiDPI scaling factor of 200%. Asus's router home page has all icons in 1080p. This is why they all look blurry on a 4K screen.

Pardon us under privileged who will have access to AX88U after 2-3 years. AC88U was available just 4-5 months back on amazon and RT-AC86U has not even released yet

Come on, set your expectations close to the real world!
No site is 4k friendly! I have a 4k setup for like 3 years and it is what it is! We are a minority! I wouldn't built my own site for 4k!
A web server on a router will be as powerful as the CPU dictates savings some cycles for the real work!
Be reasonable! My 68U is 6yo and it's responsive enough! Not the same as my GT, but ultimately age has a saying! My 70yo mom also is not as responsive as she used to be 30 years agol

My point was, CPU power is the limiting factor here, especially when using https, where the previous generation CPUs can struggle with the TLS ciphers. It's not about the web design itself.

I've had to deal with other routers and embedded devices over the years, and some of them are like 10x slower than even an Asus RT-N66U.

Now more specifically the AX88U how is it working for you? Read a whole bunch of hate in the reviews on this especially dropping wifi. Which has been the MO for every released ASUS router so i'm used to these reviews. How recommended with this one in pre-AX standard is it to buy one? If another standard is agreed on will the AX88U be able to fully support it with a FW update? Thanks in advance.

Now more specifically the AX88U how is it working for you? Read a whole bunch of hate in the reviews on this especially dropping wifi. Which has been the MO for every released ASUS router so i'm used to these reviews.

Working well for me so far. I had a lot of wifi-related errors in my log a few days ago following a reboot, which were resolved by a second reboot. Only real issue I've encountered otherwise is sometimes the networkmap requiring a refresh to properly populate devices on the Adaptive QoS Bandwidth monitor page.

If another standard is agreed on will the AX88U be able to fully support it with a FW update?

Hard to say since I have no idea what kind of changes would still be possible between the current draft and the final ratification. I suspect that, this far in the draft process, it's unlikely that any last minute change would also require hardware changes.

So are 4 cores really doing anything more for downloading and uploading to the internet? I have GT-AC5300 and a 1G/1G fiber connection and when I download or upload at my max speeds, I only ever see 1 core being utilized. Same on my RT-AC86U.

I would like the Wireless - Roaming block list to accept more than 3 clients, than it would be perfect :)

You can add devices into roaming block list, and the devices will not be roamed between AiMesh nodes, however, only working with max. 3 clients...

So are 4 cores really doing anything more for downloading and uploading to the internet? I have GT-AC5300 and a 1G/1G fiber connection and when I download or upload at my max speeds, I only ever see 1 core being utilized. Same on my RT-AC86U.

No. Those cores are useful to running other stuff in parallel, such as file sharing or VPN transfers.

Yeah, I don't use any of that stuff. Maybe the GT-AC5300 is overkill. Maybe just sell it and stick to the AC86U.

The main benefits of the GT-AC5300 over the RT-AC86U are the tri-bands, and the gamer-oriented features. If you don't specifically need either of these, then the RT-AC86U is indeed a more logical choice.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!