What's new

WhatsApp video and voice calls not working through my new Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beardofturtles

Occasional Visitor
Just purchased and installed a Huawei 5G router (CPE Pro) and for some reason WhatsApp video and voice calls wont connect. Tested on my mobile 4G and my old internet which is still running until I can fix all the problems, and all works fine.

I've spoken with Huawei, Whatsapp and EE (my ISP) and they havent reported any glaring issues or been able to advise whats wrong. Whatsapp did mention something about my firewall and UDP issues but advised I contact EE or Huawei.

All a bit weird because EE thought it was because my new account had parental restrictions so they lifted those and that didnt help. I've reinstalled Whatsapp, reset router to factory settings, tried 2.4 and 5ghz bands, and tried another phone.

Tried facebook and skype and those video calls are working fine.

Even wierder, I WAS able to connect my whatsapp video call with my friend when we were both on the same wifi (the new one) which makes me think its a port forwarding or security firewall issue? Or something to do with the ISP not providing a static IP/DHCP address like other routers? Or the fact Im using an APN?

Completely stumped and although its not the end of the world not getting whatsapp video calls, Im worrying something is different about this 4/5G broadband/router situation from my old ADSL setup that will affect other applications down the road e.g ps4 gaming and NAT issues related to that and also online gaming on my PC. Would be a disaster losing those and my fear is it'll be too late to return the equipment and stop my contact with EE by the time I realise its to do with the Huawei router or the fact im now using 4G broadband.

UPDATE: My router has features called VoIP and SIP, these look to relate calls over the internet. Could these be causing the issue with Whatsapp? SIP Port currently set to 5060 and ALG status 'on'.

Last edited:
Just purchased and installed a Huawei 5G router (CPE Pro) and for some reason WhatsApp video and voice calls wont connect. Tested on my mobile 4G and my old internet which is still running until I can fix all the problems, and all works fine.

I've spoken with Huawei, Whatsapp and EE (my ISP) and they havent reported any glaring issues or been able to advise whats wrong. Whatsapp did mention something about my firewall and UDP issues but advised I contact EE or Huawei.

All a bit weird because EE thought it was because my new account had parental restrictions so they lifted those and that didnt help. I've reinstalled Whatsapp, reset router to factory settings, tried 2.4 and 5ghz bands, and tried another phone.

Tried facebook and skype and those video calls are working fine.

Even wierder, I WAS able to connect my whatsapp video call with my friend when we were both on the same wifi (the new one) which makes me think its a port forwarding or security firewall issue? Or something to do with the ISP not providing a static IP/DHCP address like other routers? Or the fact Im using an APN?

Completely stumped and although its not the end of the world not getting whatsapp video calls, Im worrying something is different about this 4/5G broadband/router situation from my old ADSL setup that will affect other applications down the road e.g ps4 gaming and NAT issues related to that and also online gaming on my PC. Would be a disaster losing those and my fear is it'll be too late to return the equipment and stop my contact with EE by the time I realise its to do with the Huawei router or the fact im now using 4G broadband.

UPDATE: My router has features called VoIP and SIP, these look to relate calls over the internet. Could these be causing the issue with Whatsapp? SIP Port currently set to 5060 and ALG status 'on'.

Try disabling ALG.

OE

Just tried and no luck. Should I turn it back on? What does it actually do?

It's a 'don't care' if it doesn't affect anything.

It's suppose to help maintain the SIP connection through the router NAT, but some attempts in the past have caused their own trouble, like one-way audio on SIP calls.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!