What's new

When the modem doesn't support bridging - what's the way to go?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aharu

Occasional Visitor
The Huawei B593 does not allow bridge mode, however I want to let the RT-N66U do the routing here due to gigabit and more features. I know I can buy a 4G dongle for the Asus, but 1) I'm broke as a joke and 2) frankly I don't know which 4G dongles are proven to work. So what is my BEST option here?

B593 LAN with disabled wifi -> Asus WAN
B593 LAN with disabled wifi -> Asus LAN

Should I disable dhcp on the Huawei? Set some static addresses somewhere? Please please help me out, I don't know how to go on.

For what it's worth I have a Netgear GS108Tv2 if that would change anything.

MUCH OBLIGED... thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Connect the modem to the WAN port of the ASUS. You can leave DHCP on on the modem. but shut off wireless.

When you need to open ports, easiest way is put the ASUS WAN IP in DMZ on the modem, then open only the ports you want on the ASUS.

When you say shut off wifi, you mean on the modem right? What about ip ranges, if the modem gives 192.168.1.x ones, should the Asus do the same or should I put it on like 192.168.2.x?

Yes, shut off WiFi on the modem. You don't want anything except the router WAN connecting to it.

The modem and router must be on different IP ranged. If the modem is on 192.168.1.X, put the router on 192.168.2.x or any other private IP subnet.

Thanks, good reply. What are the downsides to this method, rather than sticking a dongle straight into the Asus, are there any?

The downside is you are reducing your through put. In a double NAT scenario you have to carry extra IP stuff which reduces your 1500 packet size. It also makes firewalling complicated. I would buy a modem to bridge. You really want single NAT going in your network.