What's new

When will Asus fix Dual WAN ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sanke1

In current work from home scenario, having a backup internet connection is very crucial. Almost all my friends have it. I also have it. Now both the connections are PPPoE based and I decided to take advantage of Dual WAN feature of my RT-AX88U. I connected my primary Fiber ONU to WAN port and seconday ONU to LAN1 port. I set the setting to failover to LAN1 and fall back to primary WAN once connection was re-established.

However it doesn't work at all. It correctly switches to LAN1 PPPoE but once primary connection of WAN port is re-established, it does not fall back to it. This is my 3rd time trying of Dual WAN and it has always failed in the past and it continues to fail even now.

Why have such feature in first place where not a single person has reported it to work correctly?

Can the firmware wizards at Asus look into the issue?

In current work from home scenario, having a backup internet connection is very crucial. Almost all my friends have it. I also have it. Now both the connections are PPPoE based and I decided to take advantage of Dual WAN feature of my RT-AX88U. I connected my primary Fiber ONU to WAN port and seconday ONU to LAN1 port. I set the setting to failover to LAN1 and fall back to primary WAN once connection was re-established.

However it doesn't work at all. It correctly switches to LAN1 PPPoE but once primary connection of WAN port is re-established, it does not fall back to it. This is my 3rd time trying of Dual WAN and it has always failed in the past and it continues to fail even now.

Why have such feature in first place where not a single person has reported it to work correctly?

Can the firmware wizards at Asus look into the issue?

It's pointless complaining here this is not an official ASUS site.
There should be a FEEDBACK section in the admin tab of your routers GUI, if you have issues use that to send in the information and logs.

You'd also think that there would be dedicated WAN ports instead of sharing a LAN port for it. I finally stopped using it and will manually connect my second ISP cable to the WAN port if my primary ISP goes down.

I gave up on ASUS' Dual Wan and bought an EdgeRouter to perform that role. The ASUS is now relegated to WiFi routing only. Sorry, but I don't think ASUS has placed this very high on their priority list and I don't expect it will ever be good enough for what we need it to do.

I gave up on ASUS' Dual Wan and bought an EdgeRouter to perform that role. The ASUS is now relegated to WiFi routing only. Sorry, but I don't think ASUS has placed this very high on their priority list and I don't expect it will ever be good enough for what we need it to do.
I want to buy ax86u and replace ac88u . There are a lot of problems with the ac88u. If you buy ax86u, does it make sense to buy more EdgeRouter X, or will it work fine anyway?

I replaced my older AC router with the AX88U, and that solved a huge ton of the WiFi-related issues around reliability and stability.

I got the EdgeRouter solely for Dual WAN management. Unless you have that very specific requirement or want very fine-grained control around your intranet routing, stick with the Asus router as your main router.

Reactions: FIN
I had it working fine with an Android phone as the backup link. In the Administration tab on he left and system tab on the top, check these settings:
Network Monitoring: only check DNS Query
Resolve Hostname: dns.msftncsi.com
Resolved IP Addresses: 131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1

If I recall correctly, unchecking Ping on Network Monitor did the magic.

Good luck,

Morris

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!