What's new

Where are Samba log files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logging is in Syslog: /tmp/syslog.log

That seems to be the source of the log shown in the GUI. It doesn't show any Samba logs when I try to connect to the share. Would you expect some with loglevel set to 3? Troubleshooting info on Samba.org show pages of output at loglevel 3.

This might be a result of something in the syslog configuration. I couldn't find the syslogd.conf files on the router. Where is it?

Thanks

Mike

That seems to be the source of the log shown in the GUI. It doesn't show any Samba logs when I try to connect to the share. Would you expect some with loglevel set to 3? Troubleshooting info on Samba.org show pages of output at loglevel 3.

This might be a result of something in the syslog configuration. I couldn't find the syslogd.conf files on the router. Where is it?

Thanks

Mike

There's no syslog config file. Everything is configured in the command line (this is Busybox's syslogd, not a full-featured syslog daemon)

You should be able to change the logging location of Samba to other files I suppose - I never look at it myself so I'm not entirely sure how Samba handles logging. I know that Samba does log some things to syslog, such as when it becomes a local master browser.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!