What's new

Where can I find configuration files?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ViBE

Occasional Visitor
Sometimes it just much easier to access and modify some files via SSH. That's how I do on my OpenWRT devices. But on Merlin it is not clear for me where are the configurations stored. For example where can I find the Asus(?) MiniDLNA configuration file and where are the Entware related (Diversion, Transmission, etc) applications configuration files?

Components that are part of the firmware (e.g. minidlna) have their configs stored in nvram variables. Third party software like Entware could store their configs anywhere, but usually it's somewhere under the entware directory on the USB drive.

Required knowledge for any serious Merlin user.

As @ColinTaylor suggests, nvram is used to store configuration information. However, that information is then used to generate the appropriate config files ON THE FLY, as the service is started/needed. That's why it's a bit misleading to speak of config files. And why you don't typically change those config files directly, but use user scripts and custom config files to change or replace them.

Thanks guys. And does the system store these outside the NVRAM while it's up? Or is it possible to read/check the exact content of those?

"outside the NVRAM"?

You can read the nvram variables directly with "nvram get variable_name". Or as the previous post said, look at the config file that is created from them, e.g. "cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf".

i'm stuck with this. actually i trying to configure transmission. as i understand it using the settings.json from /opt/etc/transmission. i cannot edit the file that's now clear. i can only change settings via gui (for example the inbuilt web interface or most of the transmission applications). but the gui does not shows all the settings. what should i do if i want to change a parameter in this case?