What's new

Where can I get more detailed system logs in Asus routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dilantin22

New Around Here
Excuse my inexperience with Asus routers, but where can I find more detailed system logs routers with factory ASUSWRT firmware?

When I go to Advanced Settings>System Log, I see a few services that where restarted when I made some changes, but that's it. I logged out and tried logging in with an incorrect username and password twice then checked the logs, but it didn't record the two times I tried to log into the router.

Are the more detailed logs I see in threads here due to having Merlin's firmware?

Thanks in advance.

If on stock firmware you can change the log level and you will see more in the log but not sure you will see what you want.

Default is level 6 so set it to 7.

nvram set log_level=7
nvram commit
reboot

Where can I find info on what logging setting logs what? There's nothing in manual & googling can't find anything. I'd like System Log - General Log to show everything. Thanks.

EDIT: link above doesn't help.

Asuswrt itself logs everything at the same loglevel. Only some services like dnsmasq might use different log levels, so changing it won't change much about the log content.

Asuswrt itself logs everything at the same loglevel. Only some services like dnsmasq might use different log levels, so changing it won't change much about the log content.

Right, so with following settings what should they be so that any/all log items, that are log items, are displayed below. Sorry just couldn't seem to find any details on these 2 settings are their relevant report level.
Thanks.

Tjcia5L.jpg

Right, so with following settings what should they be so that any/all log items, that are log items, are displayed below. Sorry just couldn't seem to find any details on these 2 settings are their relevant report level.
Read the link I posted in #5.

Set "Default message log level" to Notice and "Log only..." to All.

@ColinTaylor:
Could you please explain what these 2 fields stand for?
I never got it what one or the other are doing, for me they seem to be the same and somehow conflicting.

I would understand if I set default log level and all those matching are logged in a history file.
And in the second fiel I define which log to be shown.
So all in default are logged and I can change what I want to see right now, and after changeing shown log level I will see history logs filteres with new setting.

But this doesnt match field description, or my English is to bad for right understanding - dont know ...?!?

Last edited:
The descriptions are fairly self-explanatory.

Default..... is the default severity level the firmware uses to send messages to the syslog. But certain components can and do choose to use a different severity level.

Log only... is what it says. The syslog will only show messages with this severity level of higher.

And I thought "to log" means writing logs to syslog, isnt this correct?
With your explanation to log means showing logs (stored in syslog). I'm very confused.

I suggest you read up on how syslog works. Other people can explain it much better than I can.

EDIT: The firmware suppresses the printing of the facility and severity level in the log. If you stop that suppression I think it will make things more clear.
Code:
# ps w | grep syslogd
28128 admin     1412 S    syslogd -m 0 -O /tmp/syslog.log -S -s 256 -l 7

# killall syslogd

# syslogd -m 0 -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l 7

EDIT 2: Sorry, I forgot that you don't have any Asus routers anymore to try this on.

EDIT 2: Sorry, I forgot that you don't have any Asus routers anymore to try this on.
can do it at friends, no problem.

Thats why I still want to be informed to be able helping them as some bought it on my recommendation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!