What's new

Where to put firmware for peripherals

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timevacuum

Occasional Visitor
I'm still working away at getting my 950Q TV tuner working on an ASUS RT AC68U and I think I have the tvheadend software sorted. Now I'm having some challenges with getting the hardware going. Some questions:
  • I cannot cd to /lib/firmware. Where on the AC68U I should be putting the firmware files for USB peripherals like the tuner card?
  • Is it just a matter of running the following line changed to match the correct firmware location to get the firmware installed (taken from the hauppauge site) ?
Code:
wget http://www.kernellabs.com/firmware/xc5000/dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw
mv dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw /lib/firmware/

I apologize in advance as Linux is not my first language.

Asuswrt's kernel is not compiled with support for video/audio related devices, as these make zero sense in a router's environment.

You have a point about the router environment. And I guess until I read about that guy who`s router got "owned" recently, I probably would have tried to justify my use case.

What started this for me is reading about people using tvheadend +tuner stick on other routers and I thought it might be a nice way to avoid another always on appliance. From your comments, I guess they would have had to compile their own kernel with the correct bits.

Thank you for taking a moment to answer my post. I`ll just take this space to thank you for all the hard work that you have done and help you have provided to people both more and less capable than me. It is very appreciated.:)

What started this for me is reading about people using tvheadend +tuner stick on other routers and I thought it might be a nice way to avoid another always on appliance.
These ARM routers from Asus simply do not have enough CPU power to record live video from a digital TV tuner. Try it with a Raspberry Pi and you'll see. The RPi package repo has everything you need to quickly test your theory.

Search in the AsusWRT-RMerlin thread, there was another forum member doing the same thing with some success with the same happaugue USB tuner stick..

These ARM routers from Asus simply do not have enough CPU power to record live video from a digital TV tuner. Try it with a Raspberry Pi and you'll see. The RPi package repo has everything you need to quickly test your theory.

Would agree if one is trying to do DVR kind of things, but watching real-time, all the work is being done by the 950Q itself, and it just sending a bit stream out over the USB2 connection - it's the playback that drives the PC min requirements using the stock software bundled with the Tuner stick..

(I had one running on a Pi2 - playback thru VLC on my desktops, replaced it recently with a Vizio fullHD TV in the office mounted on the wall instead)

Asuswrt's kernel is not compiled with support for video/audio related devices, as these make zero sense in a router's environment.

For very good reasons - let the router do what it does best - as noted above - a Pi2 can handle this task fairly easily, and as a dedicated resource with more memory (and a couple of more ARM cores), a Pi2 or similar is a better tool for the task like this.

Okay. Bought a Pi 3. Can you provide a link for the "RPi package repo"?
Install NOOBS, then boot into Raspbian and enable SSH.
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS_latest

Now SSH login to the Pi and update it.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Install your TV back-end software to the Pi. MythTV back-end or another software?
sudo apt-get install XXXXXX

Here's some things to try. Your Pi will probably only be capable of the first one.
  • Record full HD video from the TV tuner to the storage device, without glitches or skipping.
  • Edit out TV commercials in realtime.
  • Video trans-coding.
  • Watch h.265 video on the Pi, while simultaneously recording live video from TV tuner.

Last edited: