What's new

Where2ask - diskless workstations, daily drive reimaging, & related for SOHO/MOHO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Twice_Shy

Occasional Visitor
Or maybe it's here? "Where" meaning the right subforum here, or even entire different boards at other places. MOHO - mid sized home office. :) Ie stretching the definition of 'small' a bit but without a normal business level financial base.

Short version of my problem(s) - I am making plans to set up a fairly computer intensive scenario at one or more homes. The purpose is people working on film and video game projects in a form of networked studio. Were all students so were all poor-er but we can pool resources for essential things. I have people who know how to use certain software (or are willing to learn) and can produce the content, whether it's shooting video, editing or rendering 3d frames. The main problem is the hardware backend to all this. A previous attempt years ago ended in total and complete disaster across tens of terabytes due to a combination of silent data corruption, physically failing drives WAY before their claimed lifespan, haphazard backups, and a power surge coup de gras kicking dirt over and allowing flowers to grow.

So i'm trying to do things over now, but just do things right. However i'm to avoid creating a full time (or even part time) nightmare^B^B^B^B^B^B^ job for myself with the computer administration overhead since not only do I not want to be the IT Professional (nor can I afford to hire one, nor is one available willing to give time freely) I am busy working, going to college classes, AND working on some of the content myself.

Money is tight. But time including lost time by not having a system that works now is tighter. So the total plan involves figuring out what I can do now, and figuring out what I can migrate into later/not having data OR systems (including processes) unsuited to scale up. What might seem overengineered for this year might be because anything else would be inadequate 5 years down the road.

I am trying to do the R&D or learn about how to set up systems and processes (everything from the human side of backup and data migration strategies, decisions on fault tolerance thru disaster recovery, to hardware and software choices) once and for all that will scale up or down depending on any perceivable future needs. Figuring out a system of systems which mostly runs itself except when it sends me an email to replace an SSD or hard drive or failing HBA. Where I basically know what to do without thinking in event of any problem that occurs from a corrupt file to a total Disaster Recovery like the lightning strike that ended the last time. And where most problems have been prevented by doing proper system design in the first place. My main job afterwards should be down to buying hard drives/tapes to add to storage, replacing broken components, and sometimes adding or upgrading workstations to keep working. While following the instructions for any conceivable source of data loss and catastrophe without emotional stress or fear "we are ruined" again because The System is so robust it's already considered all that ahead of time. No more fears of what a virus or malware did, accidental deletings or editing the wrong file in an unrecoverable way.

One of the BIG things i'm wanting to do is to consider either migrating or setting up new hardware planned from the beginning to run diskless. Because i'm potentially facing DOZENS of computers running in just one house (and there will be potentially several others doing the same thing in their houses as a part of a VPN WAN) i'm thinking one of the simplest ways to reduce the overhead is to stop worrying about failing hard drives anymore. It's possible that set up in this way the total cost would even be cheaper (but i'm not sure) or better performing. Like a large block of RAM or SSDs caching to be used across multiple diskless computers (so each doesn't need it's own) only slowing down if too many are contending for it's performance. If there is a serious bottleneck for certain software though (video editing for instance) trying to run over normal 1GigE or a serious cost increase to handle it (going to 10GigE) i'd better reconsider. If most PC's are diskless and a few are not that's another okay compromise to start - I don't want to spend $300 for 10gig ethernet cards for instance until or unless it's needed at that station.

So there's my long explanation of what I have in mind, can anyone enlighten me to other terms or concepts I need to learn more about, maybe articles to read, or similar "enterprise style" solutions that could be attainable on smaller home office budgets, such as those enabled by using "obsolete" (to the mainstream business world) hardware which is still better than doing without, and which has a clear upgrade path into the future? For instance i'm interested in using fibre channel SANs with 4gig cards (cheap used now), maybe Infiniband at 10gig rate (same case), and last generation LTO6 tape drives on the data intensive back side in part because all of them have clear future migration strategies. Though i'd rather use standard gigabit ethernet for the majority of workstations simply because it's on everything and i'm hoping 120MB/sec shouldn't be a bottleneck in the majority of cases. (and spending $300 per HBA for 10gigE i'd rather avoid, since hard drives and tapes will be eating up alot of the budget afterwards)

Last edited:
As someone that is rolling up a HW/SW startup... some kind advice...

Get someone on board that has the experience and skills needed - if there isn't one in your circle of contacts, LinkedIn is one place to start, or put out an ask over on HN, or heck, even in the Gigs section of Craigslist...

That person is your Sysadmin/IT support... and there one absolutely needs to have some experience with startups...

Condense your needs/requirements into something more like a job description - there's a lot of folks out there there are willing to help out.

First things first though - figure out how you're going to communicate with the team in something that works well for everyone - I ended up with a slack channel...

Configuration management and version control - we went to gitlab based on our SW leads experience with them.

Spent some time up front to do nightly builds based on our git, Jenkins worked out nicely for the trunk... and there, it's hosted...

Keep the team small - we've got three full time guys, everyone else is 1099 work for hire... myself, the SW lead, and the HW lead - and we contract/outsource as much as we can...

Don't forget there's a business to run, so always consider having a CPA and a Lawyer on retainer - and document everything...

(should note that the business needs it's own bank accounts, don't mixed company business with work business - that's a killer in the short and long term - esp. if you get the jet started and moving towards the taxi-way and need investors)

Should also note that before any works start - have a business plan - "We're going to do "X", our market opportunity is "Y", and we plan to deliver "Z""...

Money is always tight on a startup - don't be penny wise and pound foolish - that's false economy...

Thanks for the heads up... I will continue to try and look for such person but i'll have to be honest that right now projects are more of a 'hobby level' and i'm kind of the shoe in. (if you read any of my post in another subforum) I'm the "nerdiest" when it comes to networking hardware and SSD's as opposed to lenses and lighting. :p

Although set up like a "startup" there is no money flowing, i'm sure were more than 3 years from any profit and the rate of starting would be considered 'slow and unprofessional enough' that there's not much to document for tax purposes. This is more a creative collective of poor Ramen eating artists trying to pull each other up by each others bootstraps. If someone has a good idea they can petition the others to pool together some money and buy some hardware. That's what i'm doing - seeing if I can put together an idea that works better than us individually chinking away at the problem to justify saying "if we can just put $1200 into X we save more money than we spend over the next few PC upgrades" for instance.

We are trying to find some happy medium or steps along a path between "a bunch of idiots plunking away on their desktop PC's with no consistent rhyme or reason with how their computers are set up and their data saved" and an enterprise type startup, which is like steps in that direction, but obviously not that anytime soon... just a clear path of progression. And hopefully at some point someone who knows better than me joins up, and can say "actually you guys arent doing too bad for yourself, at least youre expanding in the right direction". Put another way something which is easy on one computer (just having your own install) becomes more burdensome when you have 12 computers to take care of, but if you have "a system" figured out (like daily drive reimaging) the more work up front becomes less over the long run.

What it amounts to at this stage is comparable to the nerd level of "one guy wants to PXE boot his PC and load a drive image fresh every day to stop concerns about viruses and malware" on the system side of things, while saving all data in a separate strategy on the NAS. If it works well for him, he talks a few other guys into doing it. I had a software similar to something called Deep Freeze bookmarked (but lost the bookmark but it worked for win, lin and mac) in an open source equivalent not long ago, i'll find it again, but it's software like that which I want to learn about, experiment with, and if it implements well first make work myself and then get others to use. Basically a fresh loading of a drive image, then at the end of the day discarding any system changes so that viruses and malware become no issue. (and daily revolving backups prevent data damage from propagating without being discovered too late)

I wont learn overnight, but I don't have to have a production ready system for more than a year yet anyways. It's a very slow roll up of actual work right now and there IS time to learn. I'll be doing it for unimportant stuff on one or two computers, seeing how it works for more frivolous duties, before moving further ahead. Just like the guys that tinker with freeNAS with ZFS for months for instance.

Even if the 'final decisions' or design is done by someone else, i'm trying to educate myself about the feasibility of various things. Much of the design is "just on paper" before anything to even get a feel for what might be useful. After that what will start with one diskless PC booting from a drive image off the NAS will eventually become two, then three.

However if we are going to hit an impossible performance bottleneck further down the road i'd rather know! I'm sure this will work fine for 'web browsing', audio engineering duties, and similar. But it does no good to take steps in a direction that will ultimately not work - if Adobe CS and film editing software cant run PXE type as effectively (ideally diskless but a local SSD for performance and storing bulk data on a single NAS is also okay - just something to stop configuration, install, reinstall, repair, pushing updates...), or exclusively through the network, then it's not as useful and not a priority to learn.

Put another way this is so far before the point where we are talking to lawyers and CPA's and everything that that's a whole new set of bridges to burn and figure out when we get there. First we have to see that we can even collaborate on something legitimate to hammer out say a youtube short, we are just trying to roll in more effective ways to do this than we are now, and i'm the one with the longer term vision of "solving temporary problems permanently"/getting rid of some of the maintenance hassle and figuring out a system for how we all produce and save and verify the integrity of data so I don't hear again that so-and-so got a virus, or someone had silent bit corruption on some large workfile that windows didn't even tell them about. I want to solve the problems when they are small enough so they dont propagate and increasingly drag things down later when things arent as small but still arent self-supporting financially yet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!