What's new

Which ASUS router to buy for OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R G G

Regular Contributor
Looking for an ASUS router with OpenVPN capability (preferably Merlin support as well). Found the RT-N12HP for a reasonable price, but I'm not sure if it supports an OpenVPN client.

Budget: under $60

If the VPN is important to you need to stretch your budget.

A refurbished AC1900P can be had on Amazon for US$89 and with its 1400 Mhz processor it will give you download speeds of 50 - 60 Mbps when using a VPN client. For a few dollars less you might find a standard AC68/AC1900 but with a slower processor your VPN speeds will be less.

While you might find someone to sell you an old N66 in your price range the best a VPN client on this router would do on this router is downloads of 10 - 15 Mbps as its processor is only 600Mhz. In addition the N66 is no longer supported by Merlin so if you would need to flash Johns fork which he keeps up to date with patches.

I don't believe the model you inquired about is currently supported by Merlin.

Thanks. Do you know if the lower end models from ASUS support other protocols such as PPTP and L2TP? Or is VPN functionality exclusive to more expensive models?

Looking for an ASUS router with OpenVPN capability (preferably Merlin support as well). Found the RT-N12HP for a reasonable price, but I'm not sure if it supports an OpenVPN client.

Budget: under $60

If you're willing to stretch your budget you can step up to an RT-AC87U. I see one on eBay for $63, or several and several at Amazon for $90-$100. It would doubtless be worth the extra money.

RMerlin had this to say about OpenVPN on the RT-AC87U, "As I expected, this router is a beast for OpenVPN. Performance should be close to that with the GT-AC5300 (Asus's OpenVPN isn't entirely as optimized as my implementation, but it shouldn't be far behind). So basically, expect around 200 Mbps of throughput." post

Sky

If you're willing to stretch your budget you can step up to an RT-AC87U. I see one on eBay for $63, or several and several at Amazon for $90-$100. It would doubtless be worth the extra money.

RMerlin had this to say about OpenVPN on the RT-AC87U, "As I expected, this router is a beast for OpenVPN. Performance should be close to that with the GT-AC5300 (Asus's OpenVPN isn't entirely as optimized as my implementation, but it shouldn't be far behind). So basically, expect around 200 Mbps of throughput." post

Sky

You meant say RT-AC86U....[emoji6]. The RT-AC87U is a completely different toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You meant say RT-AC86U....[emoji6]. The RT-AC87U is a completely different toy.

:eek: YIKES! Sorry about that! @RGG, just ignore my post. I've sanitized it so as not to do further damage to unsuspecting readers. I have 87 on the brain. It may be a mental disorder.

Last edited:
An RT-AC87U won't be breaking any OpenVPN speed records, it has no hardware accelerated AES. Same CPU as the RT-AC66U_B1, which would be a better purchase, as it gets more support from Asus.

An RT-AC87U won't be breaking any OpenVPN speed records, it has no hardware accelerated AES. Same CPU as the RT-AC66U_B1, which would be a better purchase, as it gets more support from Asus.

@Marin and @RMerlin, thank you for correcting my error. You not only did a great service to OP, but also to me.

When I read @RMerlin's test on the AC86, I transposed 87 then went on to tell my... well, never mind. :oops: Looks like I'll be having some crow for dinner, but at least my bacon has been saved!