What's new

Which ASUS router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

g725s

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking at setting up another residence with cable internet. A 1700sf two story, and the router would be downstairs.

I'm inclined to look to ASUS w/Merlin because at our other residence we have had a RT-AC68R (bought at Costco when this model first came out). This router has been rock solid since day one. I've had Merlin installed on it since it was available for this router. And because of it's performance and reliability I'm inclined to go with ASUS w/Merlin again.

What routers should I be looking at now? I will most likely be looking for a deal on one as I have to buy a Modem as well, I check Slickdeals.net regularly. Currently we have AT$T internet and are not happy, but can hold off for a bit till I find ther right parts needed to make the switch to cable.

RT-AC86U or RT-AX88U is your top Asus choices today with RMerlin prerequisite.

Pick the one closest to your budget and proceed. :)

Given your unstated use case (you’re not a modem flipper, buying a new one each time they come out with a new feature), you’ll get a similar experience from an rt-ac86u to your ac68u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An AX model supported by merlin would likely be a good choice, check here for supported models.

Thanks to all for your input. A little more looking into this. I was starting to think maybe using AiMesh and buying a comparable cheap T-Mobile of my 68R, and after flashing, using those at the Two Story residence with AiMesh, but I am getting that Merlin doesn’t support AiMesh on the 68R?

If I wanted to go that route and use stock Asus 68R Firmware, Which I understand does support AiMesh, is it easy to flash my Merlin flashed 68R back to the latest stock Asus firmware?

I would then buy the new Asus for solo use at the single story.

Last edited:
... a comparable cheap T-Mobile of my 68R...
You are kidding about the T-Mobile unit right? See about the 4th sticky post in the forum.

I would recommend the AC86U or AX88U (more $) unit and then turn your older router into a WAP at the other end of the house... I waterfall my routers out that way. My newest AC86U gets the front door, and I waterfalled 2 older AC68U/1900U at each end of the house. I use separate SSID on each router so I know which one I'm connecting to and I set the channels to not overlap. You can get really good signals that way without spending a dime beyond the new main router. The AC86U has proven to be very stable and if you look at the # of downloads on Merlin's site, it is a very popular model. Just a thought - peace! Stay safe.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!