What's new

Which ASUS To Chose?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WifiGhost

Regular Contributor
My current ASUS that I do love is no longer supported by the new ASUS Merlin FW an RT-AC87U, the following models are what I am considering to be able to keep using the FW:

AC3100
RT-AC86U

I do like the design of the 86U as it will be on top of my server rack. A must is being able to mod my existing scripts that tag 2 of the 4 LAN ports for existing VLANS. I was going to buy the RT-AX58U so if that's better than the above models then I will get it instead. Looking for a little help in choosing my next AP. It will be in AP mode. Thanks!

Any of the new HND routers that are worth buying will not support VLANs (easily, or at all).

The RT-AC86U is the best RMerlin supported 'router' today, however (yes, it is an HND model).

The RT-AX58U is a lower end (IMO) model, and the other (better) two to consider (also HND models) are the RT-AX88U or the better/best and usually cheaper RT-AX86U.

the RT-AC86U got ordered not too long before you post

i already modded my current scripts for the RT-AX58U/RT-AX3000(how its listed on the page) so since its an HND could there be a chance they may work? I plan on doing it manually at first, have to check a few things, and if it does then load up the scripts for bootup, i know some commands I used on my current( had only 1 issue during its life, i will miss it ) AP/Router do not exist anymore and a few members here helped port the scripts, just have never tried them, it did take some work to get it working on the 87U so no stranger to having to work at it