What's new

Which AX router for VPN client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thewizard1241

Regular Contributor
I tried using my ac68u as a vpn client and its terribly slow, it cuts the download speeds by almost half!

I am using express VPN if that helps,

Im looking at the AX86U as a main router, then maybe AX82U as an aimesh node, because 2x AX86U is too expensive.

But the issue is, i want merlin firmware on AX86U, will this cause issues if i combine it with the AX82u? So that means the ax86u will have merlin and the other router wont?

Second option is getting two AX82u's with no merlin, but is AX82u good enough to handle full speed VPN?

Thanks!

I would suggest the RT-AX86U with an RT-AC86U or an RT-AX58U instead.

RMerlin firmware on all is highly recommended. The unsolvable issues begin when the forks start meandering from each other.

With that said, 2x RT-AX86U's is the better goal.

Buy a single RT-AX86U and use your current RT-AC68U in AiMesh, or Media Bridge mode as necessary, while you're saving up your money to buy the second one.

If a second one will be needed at all.

A dramatic difference in range, throughput, stability, and OpenVPN speeds over the elder RT-AC68U.

I would suggest the RT-AX86U with an RT-AC86U or an RT-AX58U instead.

RMerlin firmware on all is highly recommended. The unsolvable issues begin when the forks start meandering from each other.

With that said, 2x RT-AX86U's is the better goal.

Buy a single RT-AX86U and use your current RT-AC68U in AiMesh, or Media Bridge mode as necessary, while you're saving up your money to buy the second one.

If a second one will be needed at all.

A dramatic difference in range, throughput, stability, and OpenVPN speeds over the elder RT-AC68U.

Ok excellent

Ill plan on selling my 2 ac68u's FIRST before buying 2 AX86U's and then il use merlin on them together.

Lets say i get 60mbps with vpn off, and 55mbps with vpn on CLIENT device aka my laptop,

1: Could i achieve similar speeds if I put the vpn on the router as a client?

2: Ill be running two profiles, one UK one with only my laptop and iphone on it, and one for the smart tv, american VPN for netflix.

Would running two vpn profiles slow down the router/ or vpn speeds for each profile?

RMerlin firmware allows for 5 VPN Clients to be used. There is a method to use specific VPN Client instances so that they are getting their own CPU core (please search for this). With 4 cores and 2 VPN's, you should be able to find a combination that allows for full speed of your ISP when not on VPN, and full speed of each VPN connected clients (concurrently).

The AES-NI accelerated VPN connection on the RT-AX86U is good for about 250Mbps.

How large is the home you need to light up with Wi-Fi? If less than 5,000 SqFt on three levels and a central placement on the middle level is possible, you may not need a second router at all. :)

Edit: I found that link for you. ;)

Last edited:
RMerlin firmware allows for 5 VPN Clients to be used. There is a method to use specific VPN Client instances so that they are getting their own CPU core (please search for this). With 4 cores and 2 VPN's, you should be able to find a combination that allows for full speed of your ISP when not on VPN, and full speed of each VPN connected clients (concurrently).

The AES-NI accelerated VPN connection on the RT-AX86U is good for about 250Mbps.

How large is the home you need to light up with Wi-Fi? If less than 5,000 SqFt on three levels and a central placement on the middle level is possible, you may not need a second router at all. :)

Edit: I found that link for you. ;)

Thank you man you are the best! I will give that link a read right now,

So in basic terms, running two vpn clients concurrently should give me fast speeds for each correct?

I tend to use bandwidth limiter in general on other devices ( not ones with the VPN connection) would this strain the CPU with VPN also in use or should it be fine with the beast of a quad core cpu?

"The AES-NI accelerated VPN connection on the RT-AX86U is good for about 250Mbps" < That sounds great, ill never have the need to ever upgrade to anything past 200mbps anyway :D

Ill defintely go with 2x RT-AX86U

hahaha my house isnt extremely large, but i have a conservatory which converted into a kitchen and is the furthest point away from the house so i lack signal there.

The benefits of 2 routers is i get extended signal all the way at the back of the garden both front and back which is a huge plus!

You'll be pleasantly surprised by the range and throughput, I'm sure. At least buy both, but only open one and try to place it near the center of the areas that need coverage. You may not need to open the other one. :)

You will also be further ahead by looking into using (just) FlexQoS or even CakeQoS instead of bandwidth limiter, which is just a hard switch. The other two options are smarter, more flexible, and can give you the internet experience you expect.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by the range and throughput, I'm sure. At least buy both, but only open one and try to place it near the center of the areas that need coverage. You may not need to open the other one. :)

You will also be further ahead by looking into using (just) FlexQoS or even CakeQoS instead of bandwidth limiter, which is just a hard switch. The other two options are smarter, more flexible, and can give you the internet experience you expect.

Just ordered today! will update you and possibly do a review which covers VPN speed and overall speed and range and ill link the thread here!

Ill have a look into those qos systems thanks!