What's new

Which AX router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bennett A Benson

New Around Here
I'm looking at buying a couple of new Asus AX routers. I was thinking on spending the extra money for the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 but I see an awful lot of issues with bugs and firmware releases. I'm leaning towards the RT-AX88U. I would really appreciate any feedback on this. I'm looking for better throughput, better range and coverage but also a solid, stable network. The mesh part is important as well.

Also, if not one of these, are there any other brands you might recommend?

Right now, I have the google wifi working but I think the newer routers could increase my range and coverage. I have an older home with lathe and plaster walls plus an addition that goes through the older, exterior of the home so it has stucco in there for one area.

Thanks
Bennett

Hi, defineltly the RT-AX88U is a great router. Also the RT-AC86U is a good and cheaper option nowadays, although it is NOT an AX router and is a bit less powerful (4 less ports, 2 less cores, 512MB less memory, ... ). I would not even look at routers not supported by Merlin (like the GT-AX11000...).

Note however that with a better router you will gain in routing speed (in terms of number of router clients capacity), VPN performance, disk sharing transfer speed, GUI responsiveness, ... but most likely almost nothing in wifi coverage if yours is already decent and modern (support current standards), because wifi max power is limited by law and most modern routers already maximize that.

What are you looking for from a new router? How many devices do you have and what are they doing?

The AX standard is not yet released and routers are works in progress, with key features like AX MU-MIMO and OFDMA not enabled yet. And you need AX devices to take advantage of those features.

Thanks FTC. That's definitely the way I am leaning.

Tim - I'm looking for better throughput, better range and coverage but also a solid, stable network. The mesh part is important as well.
I have 5 PCs, 2 phones and a tablet, about 10 smart devices including Ring and Nest doorbells, Nest thermostat, Ecobee thermostat, several smart outlets, etc. I figure I can get external wifi adapters for 3 of my desktop PCs and my next PC and phone will definitely have it.

WiFi6 AX won't provide significantly better range. Will provide higher link rates only with AX devices or devices supporting 160 MHz B/W.
AiMesh is ASUS proprietary. Check other threads to see how stable/unstable it is.

IMO, you'll buy a high $ and end up with little to now improvement and more likely, frustration with bugs.

IMO, you'll buy a high $ and end up with little to now improvement and more likely, frustration with bugs.
The "bugs" are pretty common across all the latest units (IMO).

I went for the RT-AX88U myself a few weeks ago. Went on vacation for 2 weeks and the router was 100% reliable while I was away. It had a better CPU which I wanted for VPN support and 8 ports so I could get rid of a switch.

If looking just for range increase, then a new router is typically not the answer UNLESS you are looking to ADD it to your network. Either use the AIMesh stuff from ASUS (or follow the Merlin alpha threads as I think it is in there) or simply hardwire your older router as an access point to increase the coverage area.

Whether or not you will ever be able to use the "AX" stuff is another issue, but lots of reasons to upgrade.

Reactions: FTC
Another vote for RT-AX88U. I have definitely and noticeably gained range compared to my previous RT-AC88U. CPU power on RT-AC88U was comical and that router was/is unfit for VPN. Even GUI responsiveness is amazing on the AX model. You can buy Intel AX PCIe card from this link to take advantage of 2.4 Gbps speeds.
Waiting for OFDMA and WPA3 support in upcoming firmwares.

Unless you're getting them at bargain basement prices and/or you've already got AX clients that will be able to leverage the AX standards I'd skip the AX stuff for at least the first product cycle. Little to no benefits over a top end AC router and you're not running the risk of a first gen product limiting your future. Plus you're likely to save some $$$.

OK, there is the reason that you just want one which is always understandable ;)

OK, there is the reason that you just want one which is always understandable
I think that was my driving factor, although in all fairness, my routers were on the old side..... at least that's the story I'm sticking to.