What's new

amtm Which DNS solution do you prefer, and Why?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which DNS solution do you prefer, and Why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ha, I love it. I have a three pihole setup, with unbound, behind vpn. Similar fashion to yours.
I tried PiHole but i just preferred the AGH interface more. Same reason why I don't use pfBlocker. That, and I prefer having dedicated boxes for things to remove single point of failures. Do need to revive my high availability setup though!

I tried PiHole but i just preferred the AGH interface more. Same reason why I don't use pfBlocker. That, and I prefer having dedicated boxes for things to remove single point of failures. Do need to revive my high availability setup though!
While I do like AdGuardHomes single binary "does all" attraction, this one strength also presents hidden flaws that clearly their dev team spends most of their time chasing. Also, as GO data-base present flaws, they tend to bleed into the binaries for which they support making the developers of adguardhome have to backport fixes. I honestly think the attractiveness of adguardhome also leads to most of the issues usually presented to their development team. I love the product. I just wish I knew more about GO to better help. However, I have always preferred PiHole. I honestly don't know why. I guess it is because I have been using it so long.

AGH fed by Unbound behind a VPN, all on a dedicated box with each app run via Docker with suitable levels of network isolation :)
So.... where are you really? Bouncing off some Starlink satellites with triple or quadruple hops? LOL

Personally i prefer DNSCrypt-proxy, Like the control i get with dnscrypt installer to setup it up.

Nice load-balancing option for servers.
Display good info in syslog.
Option for Automatic server selection with nice filtering capabilities.
Supports dnscrypt, Anonymized dnscrypt, DoH, DoH3(http3/QUIC), ODoH all pretty easy to setup thru the installer and you can use them all together if wanted.
It do not need a USB/harddrive to work.
Nice built in checks that it is working and also a randomization for relays(Anonymized dnscrypt & ODoH).
Settings that help prevent fingerprinting devices.

Dnscrypt-proxy together with Diversion and Skynet has served me well for years now and the family is happy with a well working Internet at home :)

Huge thanks to @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for maintaining/numerous upgrades/improvements to dnscrypt installer and the support he gives here on SNB

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!