What's new

Which dual band router setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrg

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Would appreciate some advice on how to optimally arrange a home network.

Currently I have a 802.11g O2 wireless box with 100Mbps ports.

In the process of building a Home Server with dual Gigabit ethernet which will stream films to a HTPC in the living room and music to various wireless players about the house.

I want to have a 5Ghz 802.11n network for streaming media content and 2.4Ghz for normal internet browsing.

I've considered three options:

Buying a simultaneous dual band 802.11n ADSL router, but I'm not sure there is one with gigabit ports. Alternatively, I can get a simultaneous dual band router to run both networks and connect to the O2 box with its own radios turned off. Lastly, the cheapest option would be to get a 5Ghz router for the media network and connect to the O2 box running the 2.4Ghz network.

For the latter two situations what would be the best way to connect the two routers to ensure that the media streaming is as efficient as possible? Should the 5Ghz router be connected to the O2 modem via its WAN port, with each router connected to one of the ports on the Server? Or should I link/bond the two ports on the Server into the 5Ghz router?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply and the pointers - I agree a single radio dual band router running a 5Ghz network is cheapest and all thats necessary (I'm looking at the Linksys WRT320N).

In terms of connecting it up you may tell me that configuring as an access point is the best way but I just wanted to raise a couple of questions, particularly whether it's worth isolating the 'media network' to some extent.

If I connect the Linksys to the O2 as an AP, and in turn connect my Server to the Linksys to utilise its Gigabit ports that means all traffic on both 2.4 and 5Ghz networks goes through the Linksys and its connection to the Server.

Can I make use of the dual ports on the server and 'protect' the media network by plugging in the Linksys into one of the Server ethernet ports and connecting the O2 modem to the other Server port? The server would still have internet access and this would avoid data transfers going through the Linksys other than media being accessed by the HTPC on the 5Ghz network. The only problem with this is internet access for the HTPC which will connect to the 5Ghz network - could I have either have ICS running on the server or connect the O2 to the Linksys via the latter's WAN port to create a subnet? Will this setup - the Server connected to LAN ports on both O2 and Linksys and the Linksys WAN port connected to a LAN port on the O2 create havoc in terms of addressing?

I guess the other option would be to keep the Linksys as an access point but bond/link the gigabit ports on the server - I don't know if WHS or the Linksys support this?

Many thanks for your help and by the way great work with the site!

Cheers
M

Sorry. A diagram would help me sort out what you're trying to do.
You can use any of the ports on either your main router or the router-turned-AP.

I've attached two diagrams to try and show the options I'm thinking of

I'd be grateful for comments

Cheers
M

Attachments

• Network Access Point.jpg
    Network Access Point.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 262
  • Network Subnet.jpg
    Network Subnet.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Thanks for the diagrams.

Best option is to convert the Linksys to an AP. Don't run two connections to your server, since the Linksys' switch doesn't support link aggregation and you'll create a loop and a network storm (all your switch lights blinking continuously).

See How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!