What's new

Which Firmware for RT-AC68R Ver. A1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ScottNY

New Around Here
Hello all -

I got this router a few weeks ago and am very confused about firmware. I have been using Tomato by Shibby for years on different routers and I am very comfortable with it. I read somewhere, however, that the updates are slowing down for it and it might no longer be the best option. Would I be better off with Advanced Tomato or even ASUSWRT? I have VOIP, but I run it directly to the router, so I don't use QoS. We just have several wireless devices, two hard wired PCs and stream Netflix and Hulu via Roku and a smart TV. One of the things I like about Tomato by Shibby is the ability to keep the network open only for specific devices. I live in an apartment building in NYC so it is imperative to keep the network private so that no one is "stealing" our wifi. Having guest access is very important, too. I'm looking forward to advice from you experts.

Thanks!

Advanced Tomato is just Shibby's with a new coat of paint. The code underneath is about identical, only the UI is changed.

Updates slowing down isn't necessarily a bad thing. There comes a point where hardware firmware reaches a mature state.

Advanced Tomato is just Shibby's with a new coat of paint. The code underneath is about identical, only the UI is changed.

Updates slowing down isn't necessarily a bad thing. There comes a point where hardware firmware reaches a mature state.

Thanks, RMerlin. So it sounds like I should stick with Shibby since I know it. Btw, are you "the Merlin?"

Yeah it's just in HTML5 coding & using some vector based images. That's all. I tried it for awhile but then went back to the original firmware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!