What's new

which home NAS/media share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nige

New Around Here
hi,

i have recently been through a nightmare with a failed Raid device and need a new home storage/backup/media share solution, which is not raid!
i will be using it to store pics, music, video.
it is a 2 mac home plus iphones with the occassional pc.
i would like to have an itunes server so i can play stored music on any computer.
i would like it to be as quiet as possible and most systems i see have multiple fans which i guess makes them a bit annoying in a small home office or lounge (i could hear my old WD raid device over the TV!).

i was wondering about products such as the lacie network space 2 or similar?
any thoughts on those kind of devices?

another option was the seagate free agent goflex net media as i have one of those usb drives already and travel a lot for work so to be able to remove a drive and take it with me would be great, however the online access thing is a bit worrying.

so, sorry for the long post but due to my recent nightmare with a Raid device (a WD mybook; the power board failed and so i lost everything!) i want to get this decision right!!!

thanks
nige

RAID is not backup, as you have painfully learned. If you switch to a non-RAID NAS, you still must have a backup of your data on another device, or you risk the same fate.

Use the NAS Finder to find candidate NASes. I found 6 single drive NASes with "Very Low" noise ratings and 3 more with "Low" noise ratings.

Pretty much all NASes today have iTunes servers.

thanks

Tim,

thanks for that, i actually didnt find the nas finder page previously!
great service.
thankyou

nige