What's new

Which merlin for a 1 router + 1 mesh node ? (price limited)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mpf

New Around Here
I have just discovered asus routers and the mesh system.
I had bought 2 xt8 on bol.com at an excellent price (290 euros) but I sent them back because I often had disconnections regardless of the devices and the type of connection (iphone, laptop Wifi6 and wifi 5, printer 2.4 ghz ... (despite the change of channel etc I read your tips here and also those of asus in case of problem)

I am now looking for something to do, here are my criteria:

1.: I don't need big wan/lan ports, my internet connection goes up to 300Mbps, and I will only have an old active directory server 2016/local nas server wired to one of the two, the rest will be 2 pc / 2 iphone 13 / 1 chromecast / 1 printer

2.: I have a reinforced concrete hallway wall that really breaks the signal, even though it's a small apartment, tenda's mw6 system at the beginning of the hallway with the first mesh in the middle between my pc and the first mesh (pc - 10 meters - node - 10 meters Main node) meant that I only had 30 mbps... it was better with the XT8 (node in the living room or in the guest room)
The first router will be wired with the modem anyway (which can't move because the system is powered in a specific way to the wall)

3.: I live on the 4th floor but I have a small commercial room on the ground floor (living room side) and also a park in front of my house. I would ideally like to try to have a strong signal range... so I have to basically multiply the antennas, and therefore favor the range signal.

Finally the criterion being the price, I have to get by for about 300 Eur, living in Belgium, I order on amazon.fr, bol.com...

I have seen the Asus ZenWiFi XD6S (pack of 2) which are within my price range, I tell myself that they may be more stable than the XT8 but I have been advised against it.

At worst I can take 2 RT-AX68U but I go up to 360 euros which is 60 euros more than my budget of around 300, and I'm sure you can help me.
Ideally I wanted wifi 6 but given my budget I think it's dead (else if i see ASUS RT-AX86S at amazon temporarely)

Thanks in advance :)

1672357644590.png

Last edited:

You may be amazed at what 2x RT-AX68Us can do. ;)