What's new

Which Modem Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Emma

New Around Here
hi I'm so confused. I want a modem router. Just one box I plug in and that's it.
Could you please help me choose ? I don't know about modems but we watch lots of movies and stream live sports I have BT fibre optic and a home hub so just want to replace that
I've seen two that I like but I'm not sure if they are just one box that lets me connect to the internet without adding other things

This is the first one ( I tried amazon but couldn't post the links)

http://www.very.co.uk/netgear-night...162186.prd?amendCommerceItemId=ci150620000480

This is the second one

http://www.very.co.uk/asus-dual-ban...182771.prd?amendCommerceItemId=ci150620000552

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/modem-routers/bt-smart-hub-review-3643011/

This is what I have right now. Do I even need to upgrade at all ?

I wasn't sure if this was a modem router combo. I'm not a very technical person . I don't want to buy one and then find out I need to buy a dongle/modem/flash drive Ethernet cable or something else that is vital for it to work lol

Thank you so much in advance, I'm such a nooob

Last edited:
If you have fiber from your ISP then they gave you a "GATEWAY" its a Modem/Router.
Wath do you want from the Router you want to connect to the "GATEWAY"?

If you have fiber from your ISP then they gave you a "GATEWAY" its a Modem/Router.
Wath do you want from the Router you want to connect to the "GATEWAY"?
I get buffering, chopping interrupted streams. Will a new modem/router not improve this then ?

are you using wireless or is your PC/laptop/TV that you use to watch streamed video connected by a cable to the ISP modem/router ?

Last edited:
If you can get an ethernet cable, plug one end into one of the yellow ports on the BT box and the other end into your PC/laptop/TV device and see if the issue goes away.

It is likely that either there is too much blocking the wireless signal (walls, floor, etc) or interference with the wireless signal (neighbor's wireless.

It can also be that the wireless signal from the receiving device (PC, laptop, TV ) is not strong enough or is an older wireless standard (like N) and is not as effective as newer wireless AC devices. The wireless connection is made at the first common standard between the BT box and the device. On a PC or laptop, you may be able to use a USB based wireless AC adapter to get around the issue. On a TV or streaming box, you may be out of luck until you change the device. In that case i would direct connect by wire.

If direct connecting by wire eliminates the issue, then you know you have to figure out what is happening with the wireless. If you can get a few meters away with direct line of site to the BT box and the issue goes away, it is likely that the wireless signal is having to pass through too many obstacles. If the device is connecting on the 5 GHz band of AC, then you will have to force it the 2.4GHz band (which will go through more obstacles) and see if that works. You will probably have to do some configuration in the device and the BT box to make that happen.

If the issues is interference from neighbors, then you will have to try setting the wireless channel used to a different channel a couple channels away from what is currently used by your BT wireless. If the wireless is setting its channel by auto, you may have to set to manual and select a channel.

If direct connect does not solve the issue, then either 1) there are issues across the internet (unlikely unless this is an occasional issue), 2) there is something mis-configured or failing in the BT box or BT side of the connection, or 3) the bandwidth of the BT service is not adequate for the streaming you are trying to do.

Did this occur issue before ?
What has changed if you did not have the issue before ?

Have you talked with BT about the service issues ?
Have they run a bandwidth test and diagnostic ?

Last edited:
Let us know more about your "GATEWAY" that you get from your ISP, name and type?
Is it a BT Infinity "Smart Hub"?

Last edited:
She said that she has "BT fibre optic" and a home hub that could be a BT Infinity "Smart Hub 6" witch is a 4x4 MU-MIMO unit if its the latest one.
So question is now wath speed do you get from you ISP?
And i dont think you need a Router but a AP "ACCESSPOINT" connected to your "GATEWAY" then it depends of your klients like laptop, desktop, mobilephone, tablet, wath chip do they have (1x1,2x2, 3x3, 4x4) and that kinds of things.

Last edited:
Ok I did a test and it said.

Download 42.85mbps
Upload 8.08mps
Ping was 17

I have no idea if that is fast or slow tbh it is a bt infinity smart hub I've had it 1 year so no idea of the model

Look on the device for a label.
Your ISP documents should state the bandwidth Up/Down.
42 mbits/sec is plenty for streaming at least 1 HD video. Issues could be the source getting busy or internet delays.
More likely is your wireless connection. Get the client device in direct line of sight of the BT smart hub and at least 1m away. See if you have the issue.
Get an ethernet cable and plug it in to the client device and one of the yellow ports on the BT smart hub. See if the issue goes away. You may have to turn off the wireless on the client device unless it says connected to the smart hub by ethernet.

You should not be getting buffering watching Netflix with 42Mbps down. That's more than enough for 4K streaming. Now how far away is the TV from the router?

Could be your ISP is having a peering issue/congestion with Netflix.

The problem is not the router BUT the clients chip (1x1, 2x2)

The problem is not the router BUT the clients chip (1x1, 2x2)

I highly doubt number of antenna has anything to do with it, her speed tests show she's getting good enough speeds for streaming. It could be a peering issue on the ISP's end, it's pretty common.

I mean that the NIC chip in the laptop may not support AC standard just N, or wath now she is using to connect the mobile client to the router.

Last edited: