What's new

Which NAS file system can be read by Windows?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hardware raid controlers will always be tricky indeed, and one must plan for having to use a second similar controller for recovery purposes. They might use a proprietary partition table.

Back when I was a server guy many years ago we bought a lot of RAID controllers as that was the only way back then to get large storage. I had no problems moving RAIDs between servers. You just needed to mark the drives to keep them in order. The only real thing that died on the servers were power supplies. If the servers were important I bought them with redundant power supplies.

Not disputing Solaris' track record tho, it had a reputation for being rock solid.
Ran and saw many redhat servers running for 2-3 years..

Solaris on Intel was not great from my experience (at least 10 years ago), but certainly on a Sparc box it could run for years. Had to "find" one once that someone had dry-walled behind the wall and had still been running for 3 years.

Had to "find" one once that someone had dry-walled behind the wall and had still been running for 3 years.

Let me guess - STEP? :p

I do have a Thecus N5550 nas and it is linux based. If the nas hardware is to die at some point, you can connect the disks to any pc with enough sata ports and fire up a linux distro to mount the raid

https://thecususergroup.proboards.c...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1U7KBO4d37TQwT4zkoexXS

apart from that I also do backup the important data to an usb drive.

recently I started with an old dell r510 server and installed freenas on it. now using synching on both to keep data replicated on both devices.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk