What's new

Which NAS would you choose? Synology DS1618+ or QNAP TS-673??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ingeborgdot

Regular Contributor
I have decided to not build my own so don't even go there. ;)
If you were to pick between these 2 NAS, which one would you choose and why?
I'm just needing a little push one way or another. Thanks.

Last edited:
The QNAP, hands down. But I wouldn't choose it with the AMD model (higher power consumption).

QNAP 6 bay choice then?
But why QNAP hands down?

Yes, 6 bay or bigger. QNAP NAS systems have proven stable in mine and my customers use, for the last decade and counting. :)

Many drives have been replaced, the NAS units themselves just keep going and are stable and reliable day after day. :)

And I have had Synology for 10 years without a hiccup too. I'm just trying to figure if I want to switch or not? The 1618+ has the atom processor is why I am unsure. I try to find comparisons of it but just don't see a lot of info.

Atom processors in 2020? That's a good reason for me to not consider it for the next 10. :)

Yes, but you said the QNAP 673 has an AMD and not to get that. So, what in that price range would be the go to? I'm confused.

You didn't state previously that you wanted to stay in a price range. :)

What does it cost for you in USD? :)

The 673 and the 1618+ were around $750 USD.

I've looked up some info on the Atom processors. They are not looking that bad. What are you comparing the Atom to?

I've been very happy with the QNAP TS-563-2G 5-bay. Not sure how it compares to the ones you are looking at, and obviously 1 bay less.
I did upgrade it to 16GB though and added a 10GbE card. Populated with 5x10TB Ironwolf HDDs.

Haven't tried Synology, but I hear the UI is better than QNAP, but I rarely need to access it. QNAP suffers from releasing bad updates and has had to pull a couple in the last year, but 3asy to avoid the bad ones by waiting a couple weeks after release and read the feedback. It seems pretty much all vendors have moved to getting customers to (unofficially) beta test in production.