What's new

Which of these ASUS router(s) should I buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slickone

Occasional Visitor
A friend has an RT-N66U router upstairs that at 2.4Ghz, barely reaches the other end of the house downstairs (and cuts out a lot there), so was thinking about buying two new ones for a mesh setup, but I'm thinking a newer ASUS router would have better coverage, so I would only need one. I did try a new Netgear router that did give enough coverage for the house, but it had other issues so I had to return it.

I see some of the newer ASUS routers advertise 3000 sq ft coverage, and I don't see it for the N66, but I do see somewhere that says 1800 sq ft for the N56U.

Also, I don't think any devices that would be connecting would be Wifi 6/AX compatible, so I'm guessing for example, an AC2900 would be faster for us than an AX1800?

Here are the ones I'm looking at, which are all around $130-160:
AC86U, AX55, AX56U, AX58U, and AX3000. Even if not using AX, I'm guessing the RT-AX3000 at $160 is a good buy. Also the RT-AC86U is on sale right now for $150 (see post on Slickdeals), and I think it's AC speed is faster than the AX3000. Are there any other differences that make one better for me? My main concern is coverage.

The modem is a Motorola MB7420. Internet speed package is probably 100-150Mbs.

Last edited:
AX86U is router that could be easy advice but cost more - consider if you could not invest for it and have a good sleep and night.

AC86U - have same challenges with high temperature and basically R.I.P after few years or suing - like wi-fi 2.4GHz gone etc.

AX55 - do not consider it as do not have even USB and you should use RMerlin soft to have additional functionality via amtm
AX56U - do not know why but same people are happy with it some not - wi-fi range is not good :(. I personally have few of them in few loc but at one was forced to change because of stability
AX58U - is good chose for entry router but it is much worst compering to AX86U from wi-fi, performance perspective etc.

U did not provided any info about your internet speed. If it is above 300Mbit I would go with AX86U

RT-N66U is old router before w-fi power regulation and I would not be sure new router will have better wi-fi range.

The RT-AX58U is less 'router' than the less expensive RT-AC86U for you right now.

I would buy the RT-AC86U if the RT-AX86U (highly recommended) is out of your budget.

The RT-AX58U is less 'router' than the less expensive RT-AC86U for you right now.

I would buy the RT-AC86U if the RT-AX86U (highly recommended) is out of your budget.
Yes, the RT-AX86U is too expensive, unless I knew for sure one would be enough coverage. Is the AC86 better than the AX3000?

Forgot to mention earlier, but the home is 1964 sq ft (two story). I'm trying to get coverage at the diagonal opposite end.

Last edited:
A friend has an RT-N66U router upstairs that at 2.4Ghz, barely reaches the other end of the house downstairs (and cuts out a lot there), so was thinking about buying two new ones for a mesh setup, but I'm thinking a newer ASUS router would have better coverage, so I would only need one.

You may find newer routers 2.4GHz coverage is no much different than your RT-N66U. Newer AC/AX routers have much better 5GHz radios, but 2.4GHz band is about the same. Tested with three generations Asus routers - RT-AC66U (same hardware as RT-N66U), RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U.

For an effective 1,000 SqFt area, the RT-AC86U will easily cover the entire home.

Yes, as already stated, the RT-AC86U is the better router over the entry level 'AX' RT-AX58U.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!