What's new

Which one would you choose?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which one is your choice?

• Asus RT-AC1900P

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Nighthawk X4S R7800

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

scjr

Very Senior Member
I purchased the Asus RT-AC1900P. Got it for $90. I’m thinking I’ll be happy with it.

The Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 AC2600 is on sale at Staples for about $22 more.

From what I’ve read, it appears Asus is much more dilligent about their firmware updates. Is it worth going with the Nighthawk for the $22 extra or stick with the Asus?

I’m a rookie. :)

Last edited:
I purchased the Asus RT-AC1900P. Got it for $90. I’m thinking I’ll be happy with it.

The Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 AC2600 is on sale at Staples for about $22 more.

From what I’ve read, it appears Asus is much more dilligent about their firmware updates. Is it worth going with the Nighthawk for the $22 extra or stick with the Asus?

I’m a rookie. :)

$90 bucks for the AC1900P that's not bad! Nice catch!

Great deal and I hope you do enjoy it (largely because I just bought one myself : -)

You're experiencing "buyer's remorse", for some reason the one that got away always looks better.

Yeah, that AC2600 does sound exciting because of the potential for extra bandwidth but Asus gets extra points for the built-in traffic monitor, user interface and, occasionally, all those extra SSIDs.

Great deal and I hope you do enjoy it (largely because I just bought one myself : -)

You're experiencing "buyer's remorse", for some reason the one that got away always looks better.

Yeah, that AC2600 does sound exciting because of the potential for extra bandwidth but Asus gets extra points for the built-in traffic monitor, user interface and, occasionally, all those extra SSIDs.
I think you’re right, my friend. This is what happens when these deals pop up on BF. :D

After doing more research, Several of the reviews on Amazon criticize the Nighthawk’s user interface. Asus has it together with their firmware updates and features. I made the right choice.

I think you’re right, my friend. This is what happens when these deals pop up on BF. :D

After doing more research, Several of the reviews on Amazon criticize the Nighthawk’s user interface. Asus has it together with their firmware updates and features. I made the right choice.

In terms of the NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Gaming Router (R7800), I've been reading similar things as well. Connectivity issues for some (not everyone obviously). UI being a buggy mess and such. Some have said the updates for the Netgear firmware isn't as often and they take forever to patch stuff. Also apparently their customer support is terrible. To be honest I highly doubt they are THAT laid back with the firmware updates. My buddy who owns a R7000P tells me they are quite stable and the firmwares are up to date. If all else fails go to DD-WRT etc..

But! I'm glad you went with the AC1900P. I think you will be very happy with it. I've read nothing but great reviews on it. :) You'll be happy with the Asus router. Now I just need to decide myself finally... all this researching is beginning to get to me.

Last edited:
I've been reading similar things as well. Connectivity issues for some (not everyone obviously). UI being a buggy mess and such. Some have said the updates for the Netgear firmware isn't as often and they take forever to patch stuff. Also apparently their customer support is terrible. To be honest I highly doubt they are THAT laid back with the firmware updates. My buddy who owns a R7000P tells me they are quite stable and the firmwares are up to date. If all else fails go to DD-WRT etc..

But! I'm glad you went with the AC1900P. I think you will be very happy with it. I've read nothing but great reviews on it. :) You'll be happy with the Asus router. Now I just need to decide myself finally... all this researching is beginning to get to me.
Thanks, my friend.

Have you decided on your upgrade?

Thanks, my friend.

Have you decided on your upgrade?

Sadly no lol :D. Though I'm leaning towards the RT-AC86U. If all else fails I could always get a RT-AC1900P. I think I'm going to hold off on the Netgear line. ASUS has been kind to me all these years. Going to Netgear would be a leap of faith sort of deal with me. That's not to say the R7000 or R7800 line are terrible, quite the opposite. My buddy has been trying to get me to convert LOL. I won't do it I tell you! ;)