What's new

Which part of the wall is most likely broken? (Slow speed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

network_jj

New Around Here
Hi I think some part of the in-wall extension from my basement to the upstairs second floor is broken because of slow speeds. Below is an image of my Asus setup with the orange colour saying its only getting 10/100 Mbps. I tested the same wires that made the green connection with the orange router and also with the green router substituting the orange - it also became orange.

Gateway -> Cat 5e wire -> in wall -> Cat 5e wire -> orange router

So it's not the wires outside the walls issue but within the basement and upstairs, will I have to get someone to replace the entire in-wall wire?

slowspeed.png

At least 2 things I'd start with.

1, get the cable tested. Either hire someone or get/ borrow / rent a proper cable test unit.

2, redo or replace the jacks, and ensure you get good quality ones.

Might not require rewiring.

Last edited:
is the wire type the same for both runs in the wall ? If you cannot see the end in the basement, you will have to open one of the wall boxes and check on the cable. Also make sure the termination pattern is the same, either matching type A or B..
Cable should be marked CAT5e, possibly Cat5.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!