What's new

Which R7000 firmware for easy VLAN setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mc510

New Around Here
Looks like there are quite a few FW options for the R7000; DD-WRT, various tomatoes, Asuswrt-merlin-xwrt, maybe more. There's really only one feature that I want, so I'm hoping for some advice on which one to try first ... in addition to a "regular" SSID using "regular" DNS, I want to have a second SSID that also accesses the same local network but uses my PiHole for DNS, and then I want to have a third SSID for a guest network that doesn't connect to my local network. Would any of the firmwares makes this especially easy?

Have a look at FreshTomato

Look at Tomato as microchip recommended. From my use of it VLANs are simple, Virtual APs/(Use them as guest networks) where the virtual APs can connect to any of the VLANs. The only thing I can't tell you is if you can set up two paths for different DNS servers. There are a lot of options in Tomato but I have never tried to accomplish what you are looking for i.e. using conditional DNS servers based on VLAN.

The main beef about Tomato seems to be that the project isn't very active in upgrading the firmware including security patches. You will need to check that out yourself. The version of Tomato I use occasionally is (1.28.0712) dates back to 2013-2015.

I don't think security wise it would be a good idea to use firmware for a router that is from 2015.

FreshTomato is actively developed while Shibby Tomato has been put to reset, at least for the forseeable future

Look at Tomato as microchip recommended. From my use of it VLANs are simple, Virtual APs/(Use them as guest networks) where the virtual APs can connect to any of the VLANs. The only thing I can't tell you is if you can set up two paths for different DNS servers. There are a lot of options in Tomato but I have never tried to accomplish what you are looking for i.e. using conditional DNS servers based on VLAN.

Thanks; looks like DNS-per-VLAN requires some command line stuff in dnsmasq https://youngryan.com/2014/04/creating-a-guest-network-with-a-tomato-router/ ; I can work on figuring this out after I get FreshTomato installed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!