What's new

Which router for AP with R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stealthw0lf

New Around Here
I bought a Netgear R7800 to use in router mode whilst the ISP cable router was in modem mode. This had the advantage of better signal (2.4GHz is better) but sadly not all through the house (5GHz won’t reach the kitchen or the upstairs toilet!). We’ve since had an extension and I asked the electrician to wire in some cat6 cabling between where the router sits and where the new extension is.

I had planned to buy another R7800 but these are now obsolete. I did have an EX8000 extender but it was a bit hit and miss - my phone was connected but the Internet didn’t always work.

I’m after something that will play nicely with the R7800 with one of the devices in AP mode.

Any recommendations?

Just get an AP and plug it into the extension. I use Zyxel and they have a couple of different models around $150 and cover corner to corner for me at 1300sq ft. I get 1.5gbps from it paired with a AX411 card in my laptop but, there are other options that are cheaper with 1GE ports on them. All you have to do is hook it up and then find which IP it's using and login via a browser to configure it and then forget about it unless you want to apply software updates.

Why do you need a router for an AP. Get an AP instead. There is a wide variety available.

Thanks. For some reason I had it in my head that (to maximise compatibility/avoid issues) it would be better to have products from the same company. At the very least it makes it easier to manage through the netgear app.

Get something Netgear app compatible and reaching upstairs toilet then. Obviously both are important for you.