What's new

Which Router? Need some widsom/help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TXDego

New Around Here
Just found this forum, seems like some Jedi masters around here can hopefully help. I have several routers laying around the house, trying to figure out which is the best for me to use for what I need. My needs to me seems very simple, but the actual execution has become so incredibly difficult that I am pretty frustrated. I have the following routers: TP-Link C9(AC1900), Asus AC1900(RT-AC68U), Ubnt Edgerouter Lite

I am trying to view my ipCamera's when I am away from my home on my phone. From what I have read online, and been told by app designer, I need to open some ports up. But then I also read its bad to open ports and I need to run some sort of VPN. However to run a VPN that also requires some level of Voodoo or Witch Craft to make happen. I just can't believe its this gat dayum hard to view my camera's on my phone in the year 2018.

Have a 200/20 internet connection, we routinely have Netflix & Kodi streaming at several locations around house at same time, kids have multiple XBox's going at same time, with 8 ipcams, and just a bunch of other devices, etc. all running at same time. Its pretty common to log into router and see 50 devices/things connected, and we use about 1TB/month in data. Im not really worried about Wifi issues with any of the routers have several Ubnt Indoor & Outdoor UniFi AP's running which give me Wifi.

From my own testing the TP-Link C9 is the fastest of the routers, it always gives me 5mb+ faster speed tests than the others, but from what I read, it won't do a VPN, so that leaves the Asus or Edgerouter. I hate Ubnt interface inside the router, don't understand what 90% of the things do inside that router, and have zero clue how to do that line item coding that I see everyone doing in YouTube video's. Also hate that I can't use QoS on the Edgerouter, it takes my 200mbs connection down to 70mbs. Supposedly running the Asus with Merlin does some sort of magic, but I have no clue about that. Also read about taking a Raspberry Pi(which I have) and turning that into some sort of VPN thingy that does some kind of Voodoo as well to see my ipcams, but I'm kind of clueless on that as well.

Hopefully I have laid out enough information to get some good input, thanks in advance for your help.

The first thing you need is a strong password for the camera, whether or not you use VPN.

All a VPN will do is encrypt the traffic between your viewing device and your router. Secure HTTP (HTTPS) does the same thing.

Make sure you change the port the camera uses from its default, to something else not commonly used.

The best solution would be to get a camera that can be used with an app and a relay server for login. Then you wouldn't need to open router ports.

Tim, I already have the 8 camera's up and running, they have been working for couple years now, when one dies, just replace it with a new one. Most all the cams are HIKVision bullet cams. My question is really about what router to use that is best to allow me to see my camera's on my phone.

Tim, it looks like you are a moderator? I swear I posted this question in the ROUTER section, and not sure how it ended up in WIRELESS networking? Can you move this thread back to ROUTER, because none of my question has to do with anything WIRELESS oriented or any BUYING advice. Thanks

There is no best router. If you have to open ports to get to your cams, you need to live with the risk that brings. VPN will mitigate that risk somewhat, but also needs a strong password.

The best protection you can give yourself is to put your cameras on a non standard port, enforce HTTPS only access and get a smart/managed switch so you can put them on a separate VLAN. So if someone does get in, they won't be able to go anywhere else on your LAN.

Regarding your request to move the post back, yes, I'm a moderator and own SNBForums. I moved your post because I thought you would get better responses in this sub-forum. I moved it back.

Tim, Im not looking for the best router, just the best of the 3 I already own to use for what I am trying to do. What is a non-standard port? How does one enforce HTTPS only access? I already have 3- 24 port un-managed switches running with my current setup. How does one set up a separate VLAN? It makes sense what you are saying about a separate VLAN, but I have zero clue how to get there from here. Here in lies my problem, there are probably a 1000 things that need to happen, but I am limited in knowledge to whatever I can find on YouTube to show me how;).