What's new

Which router to choose? Currently running two, details below.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Psych00l

New Around Here
Hello, Im currently running TP-link archer AX 55 which is connected to a modem from my ISP which is in bridge mode. I also have Asus RT-AX 55, using as an AP which I bought to use as a wired AP to use Quest Airlink as the TP-link was doing really bad. Everything was working fine, I then connected a switch to the Asus router since I have a lot of devices I had to connect via cable and everything was working great. Recently I performed update on my Asus router and then my switch stopped working.

I tried to rollback the software but it didn't help, also when I tried to remove the TP-link router and put Asus as only router connected to my modem, it throws an error about DHCP server of my ISP not working correctly and I have no network. TP-link does in fact connect fine and if I switch them back I have network available. What I am plannig to do is to buy a new Asus router to connect it in place of my TP-link, then run a cable to the RT-AX 55 and use it as an AP/switch.

I am unsure which Asus router to get, I need good WiFi 6e connection (I live in Europe and there is a load of wifis around on nearly all channels which causes a lot of interference, hard to find a free channel). The area to be covered is like 60square meters from the main router. It also needs to connect fine via cable to the RT-AX 55.

What would you recommend? I don't want to pay more than 270 euro (+/- 10%).

I was looking at gt ax-11000, but since I changed my profession few years ago I don't have much time to research and I'm a little behind in the area.

A good router can be set to select the best WIFI channels in a crowded WIFI environment. Those settings are usually the factory default settings.
As for a router recommendation, the AX88U Pro, AX86U Pro and the GT-AX6000 are the most recommended routers in this forum. Most here do not recommend 6e routers because of the low range of the upper WIFI band.
Purchase a router from Amazon. If it does not work out just send it back within the allowed time frame.

I was looking at gt ax-11000

This GT-AX11000 is a model from 2018. If you really need 3-band router the updated hardware version from 2022 is GT-AX11000 Pro.

The area to be covered is like 60square meters from the main router.

If this 60m2 area was a circle with a router in the middle your devices are no further than 4.37m from it. Why do you need a second router/AP? Try with single router first and see how it goes. Your place is similar to one bedroom apartment. Single router configuration will work better. You don't have to provide Wi-Fi to your neighbors.

Last edited:
If this 60m2 area was a circle with a router in the middle your devices are no further than 4.37m from it. Why do you need a second router/AP? Try with single router first and see how it goes. Your place is similar to one bedroom apartment. Single router configuration will work better. You don't have to provide Wi-Fi to your neighbors.
As I mentioned, there is a need for Quest 3 WiFi connection and there are a lot od devices connected to the WiFi and bit rate is dropping alot when you play on PC, which casues a lot of issues in VR. So it requires it's own router with very few other devices connected

As I mentioned, there is a need for Quest 3 WiFi connection

TP-Link Archer AXE75 is often recommended by VR set users. It's not very expensive mid-range 3-band Wi-Fi 6E model, but apparently works well for the purpose.

This GT-AX11000 is a model from 2018. If you really need 3-band router the updated hardware version from 2022 is GT-AX11000 Pro.
ax 1100 pro covers my houses well , in fact it cover my property 1 1/2 acres gets full coverage . very stable have not had any trouble in over 1 years use

ax 1100 pro covers my houses well

@Psych00l has specific requirements. For VR sets short range 6GHz dedicated band is common solution. VR sets require high-bandwidth low latency connection.

@Psych00l has specific requirements. For VR sets short range 6GHz dedicated band is common solution. VR sets require high-bandwidth low latency connection.
key word "short' range , very short

key word "short' range , very short

High speed is short range always. The same applies for your routers. You can have maximum link speeds in the same room only, further away or behind a wall they drop. The more channels bonded the shorter the range. The higher the frequency the shorter the range. This is how Wi-Fi works for all routers, not only 6GHz capable ones.

High speed is short range always. The same applies for your routers. You can have maximum link speeds in the same room only, further away or behind a wall they drop. The more channels bonded the shorter the range. The higher the frequency the shorter the range. This is how Wi-Fi works for all routers, not only 6GHz capable ones.
exactly why I don't use 6 ghz , that was an expensive lesson

Your choice. Gamers with VR sets prefer short range 6GHz band. It has more available bandwidth. They are not after maximum range, but after maximum speed. The Archer AXE75 router is often under $200 (currently $180 on Amazon US) and it's tested by the community as good with many VR sets. Different people have different needs. Your routers are perhaps good for your needs. I personally believe you overpaid for "gaming" routers with split 5GHz band. Your routers are de facto dual-band.